Search

Welcome back, Rocco!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome back, Rocco!

I know I got quite a nice trip report from you via email when you were bored but I want MORE MORE MORE! Plus, did you resize your photos down OK (hope my explanation made sense) and are they online yet?

Come ON already!

v

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Oh my stars, Kavey... let the guy finish his pizza, at least!!!!!!!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Isn't he in Amsterdam today?
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Yes, and he gets home tomorrow, thanks to you!

Now, if you could only help me with my seat request on Kenya Airways..... ;-)
(It's a 777 with a 3-3-3 configuration, if that helps..)
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

No time for pizza... safari-starved minions are waiting...
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Kavey,

There is ALWAYS time for Pizza!!!

I have just finished eating a very nice dinner at an Indian restaurant near the Canal House in Amsterdam. It is beautiful here, but I know that I won't be able to walk around as much as I would like if I were to stay the original planned two nights.

Kenya Airways is honestly the best airline I have ever flown in economy class. While it helps that the flight was only 1/3 full, it was a beautiful newer 777-200 airplane, the flight attendants were all very nice and the on-flight entertainment was great...I watched three movies and dozed off for about an hour and before I knew it we were already landing in Amsterdam. I cannot recommend Kenya Airways enough.

Tomorrow morning it is a direct business class flight from Amsterdam to LAX on KLM. I was not so impressed with their economy class from AMS - Kiliminjaro, but hopefully I will get a newer plane and being in business class will make a big difference.

Thanks for the homecoming and I will be as quick as I can with a few photos and a trip report!!!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Rocco - I need seat recommendations! Were you on a 3-3-3 configured plane? If so, where should I request to sit? Need a window so I can snooze. (Sorry to bug you with inane stuff at this point...) thanks!
Sharon
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Sharon,
I hope Rocco has some suggestions for you cause I'm pretty much useless when it comes to Kenya Airways
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Sharon,
Did you check out seatguru? We're taking a KLM/Kenya Air (which is it really? I have no idea) 777-200 with 3-3-3 configuration. Flying cattle class. Getting visas upon arrival so we'd like to be closer to the front. For you, maybe 11J?

I'm no expert even though we flew Kenya Air last time. I can't really remember the flight. Other than, like Rocco, I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:17 PM

air kenya 777 200 have a 3-3-3 configuration. But the last 2 rows 45 46 I think, are 2-3-2. We had row 46 outbound & 45 inbound. The downside, row 46 is right next to the loos!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm... no time for pizza but I'll grant you time for a good Indian meal... always time for a curry!

(Could be my Indian genes showing through!)

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Hey thanks everyone. I'm sure in economoy it doesn't matter all that much; however, each airline allots seats differently towards first, business class, etc. That's why I thought someone like Rocco, who had just been on the plane of this specific airline might have inside tips. I prefer to be closer to the front so that I am one of the last on and first off! Thanks again, as always!
Sharon
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:15 PM
santharamhari

Rocco,

Indian food in Amsterdam??? was it any good......i'm sure you can do much better in LA for Indian food.......

Hari

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:02 PM

When I read that, I first thought he meant Indonesian food, because that is excellent in Amsterdam, even better than I had in Jakarta.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:03 AM
sandi

AMS has some of the best Indian, Indonesian and other Southeast Asian cuisine.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Roccco na Alexsandra,
Karibuni nyumbani!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:15 PM

Hari,

The Indian Restaurant that we visited recently celebrated its 21st anniversary.

We got to talking to one of the waiters who has proudly been with the restaurant for a number of years and when asked if the restaurant was always busy, he asked me to guess how much business they had done the previous day (Wednesday). I played along and guessed three thousand Euros as the gross sales (it only seats 40 guests).

I wasn't even close...he told me that he and one other waiter sucessfully handled nine thousand euros worth of business the previous day and said that the table where we were sitting had turned over six times between their limited hours of 5PM - 11PM. Three thousand euros for costs to the owner and six thousand euros in his pocket, the waiter said, and I believe it.

It was very good food...Alexsandra loved it, but I found it average...defenitely not Bukhara's in South Africa, but a nice little find and a good change from all the Tanzanian lodge food I had been eating for the previous three weeks.

I had my pizza and lasagna tonight and it hit the spot.

A trip report and some photos will be up hopefully in the next three days.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM
santharamhari

Hey Rocco,

Got to hear...yep,familiar foods hit the spot........

Yep, can't wait to read your upcoming trip report...especially more about Nomad camps, your cheetah viewing, balloon trip, the food and wine etc etc., Take care and glad you r back on the forums.....

Hari

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:49 AM

I didn't realize that you were an agent until this morning when I read your trip report about ATR/MKSC. Wow, what an experience. Now I have to check with ADS to see what vehicles they use, as we have back issues which won't stand up to rough roads AND uncomfortable SUVs.

If you, as an agent, received such appalling service, I can't imagine what the rest of us would get. I hope this is not representative of most of the tour operators. 'Can't wait to read your full trip report.