Reload this Page >

Johannesburg/Cape Town/Victoria Falls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:20 PM
LK

We plan to visit SA in October. We will stay at The Crown Plaza In JB. Is this a good Hotel with a good location? Is it a safe area? Is there reasonable eating and shopping close by? In vic Falls we will stay at the Kingdom any info on the hotel will be helpful.In Cape Town we will stay at the Holiday Inn Waterfront.Is this a good hotel with a good location?Is this area safe?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 10:55 PM
local

October is an excellent time to visit SA. Try to get to Pretoria to see the Jacaranda trees in bloom. (Go to corbis.com and type "Jacaranda" in the search - it will show you some pictures of Jacaranda trees. The picture "street lined with Jacaranda trees" is what you will see here.) <BR> <BR>Johannesburg - As far as I know there is only one Crowne Plaza hotel in Sandton, Jhb. It is a very upmarket area and close to Sandton City, one of the best shopping centres in the country - you pay a liitle more for everything because it is "Sandton City". Safe but do not flash the Rolexes <BR> <BR>Cape Town - ditto: good (tourist) area, good hotel, no Rolexes. <BR> <BR>I can not talk about the Kingdom hotel at Vic Falls but we are going there next weekened (10 Aug) on recommendation of friends and I will give feedback on return. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 02:34 AM
kang

The Holiday Inn in Waterfront, Cape Town. I didn't stay there only walked by; it looks nice and the area is definitely very safe.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:23 AM
local

Go to www.virtualtourist.com/m/.135749/?s=i to see some information that I have put in there about our visit to the Falls. If the link does not work, go to www.virtualtourist.com and get to my site, i.e. local7460 - do a search via "Find members". I took the photos of the hotel with you in mind!!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Local

Thank you for sharing your great pictures of Victoria Fall.They really give me a good feel for the Falls and what to see.Also, thanks for the pictures of the Kingdom Hotel. It looks like a fine Hotel.We also looking at the Intercontinental at Victoria Falls. Any comparative thoughts? I only hope I can take pictures like yours. Thanks again

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 06:06 AM
local

Unfortunately we did not go to the Intercontinental, so can't help there. Sorry....

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 06:48 AM
J. Gardner

I'll be in Johannesburg with an 8 hr. layover in early September. Does anyone have an idea about a day trip that would be interesting from the airport?

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:14 PM
local

Soweto is normally one of the main attractions when people visit Johannesburg. <BR>A tour of Johannesburg city is not recommended - nothing of interest to see (and dangerous). <BR>Maybe you can try a visit to Pretoria - the Voortrekker Monument and the Union Buildings each with great views of Pretoria. <BR>With good planning, you can try the Pilanesberg Game Reserve at Sun City - about an hour's drive from Johannesburg.