Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Trafalgar Tours (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/trafalgar-tours-59198/)

Jess Jan 5th, 2000 03:45 AM

Trafalgar Tours

Anyone taking Trafalgars' Best of Egypt's <BR>tour Feb.8,2000?

Lee Jan 5th, 2000 06:04 PM

Not in Feb., but we are looking at a booking with Trafalgar for the month of October for the Best of Egypt & Israel with a Jordan add on. I would love to hear from anyone with Trafalgar experience in that part of the world as well. Would you be kind enough to let me know how your tour goes? Hope you have a wonderful time.

Lee Jan 6th, 2000 03:13 AM

Will do. <BR>Jess

Mike Jan 7th, 2000 06:55 AM

I sent my parents on a Travalgar trip to Israel and Egypt last May. They had a blast and said everything was top notch. They made some new friends from the tour as well.

Guest Feb 12th, 2000 07:29 PM

We were not as satisfied with Trafalger as with some of the other tour companies that we have used. I guess they are O.K. though.

jo Feb 13th, 2000 10:57 AM

I took a trafalger tour through Italy <BR>about 5 or so years ago. It was relatively inexpensive and I found out <BR>why. They rush you through everywhere <BR>and you dont stay in the greatest places. <BR>i think its a typical moderate price <BR>tour. I dont think i would do it again <BR>but some people were satisfied .

Lee Feb 15th, 2000 03:53 PM

Guest, Did you go to Israel & Egypt with Trafalgar or Europe? How long ago did you use them? Did you get any recourse with your complaints? <BR>Jo, Did Trafalgar have different price ranges for your European trip? Their Israel/Egypt trip is all Deluxe hotels - Hilton, Sheraton, Crowne Plaza - all of which I've checked on the net and they are pricey, complete and in great locales. <BR>This tour sure isn't inexpensive - now you've got me worried! Appreciate your feedback.

Lara Feb 28th, 2000 10:47 PM

I just returned from a Trafalgar Tour of Egypt and Israel with a Jordan add on. Trafalgar uses Spring Tours in Egypt and they were magnificent. Our tour guide was outstanding. He was knowledgeable and friendly plus passionate about his work and it showed. It was a great experience. Israel was the total opposite. The local tour company Trafalgar used was terrible. Our guide was confusing and rambled on and on and on, never giving a comprehensive overview or connecting anything. After vainly trying to listen patiently I ended up frustrated that he was wasting my precious vacation time. On the Israel portion we were taken to isolated restaurants with poor quality food that charged high prices ($16.00 per person for lunch at a restaurant attached to a gas station is pretty steep). Likewise, we stopped at a diamond factory (also conveniently a retail shop) and had to watch a company video and listen to their sales pitch. Many in our group were unhappy with these tactics and complained to the tour guide. He said he was forced to stop at these locations and Trafalgar was getting kick backs from the restaurants and shops. Our last stop was Jordan. The same tour company as in Israel but fortunately they had subcontracted out to another tour company. Our guide in Jordan was fine. His explanations were clear and he was very accommodating. The Jordan sites are fabulous and glad I went. Unfortunately, although the itinerary says one thing we were taken on a long out-of-the-way overland drive to reach Jordan. The round trip took 10 hours, rather than 2 or 3 if they had followed the written itinerary. This of course was to accommodate and benefit the tour company, not us. The long drive left very little time to see Tel Aviv. I cannot recommend Trafalgar Tours and I will not take another Trafalgar Tour.

Sy Feb 29th, 2000 08:50 PM

We took 14 day tour Trafalger to Spain, Morocco and Portugal. The Hotels and food was good but I suffered on their Busses due to lack of leg room. Paid big bucks to night club in Seville for spanish dancing and heard loud amplified music with plumb dancers, singers mouthing and guitarists playing to taped music. Disgusting rip off:

Guest Mar 2nd, 2000 11:17 PM

We went on the Spain, Portugal, Morocco tour with Trafalgar a year ago. They changed over half of the hotels from what the brochure gave. And in some of the places they wasted a lot of our time by taking us to merchants and we had to sit there and hear a long "sell" even though we were not a bit interested in the product (

Guest Mar 2nd, 2000 11:26 PM

We went on the Spain, Morocco, Portugal tour with Trafalger a year ago. They changed over half the hotels. Also wasted a lot of our precious time by keeping up in shops (of their choice) listening to "sell" talk!

Bob Mar 6th, 2000 06:54 PM

Took Best of Egypt tour over New Years Eve 2000. Excellent. Our guide was Ash. He is the best guide we have ever had. Excellent information but not too much. Hilton Hotel and Nile boat were very fine. Cairo is mob scene. We were <BR>100% satisfied. Ask for Ash for your guide.

Alice Mar 31st, 2000 09:14 PM

Hey, Bob, you got it all wrong. Mahmood was the best guide in that group!! As I recall your group were the lowly Pharaohs while we were the much revered - Horus. Unfortunately Mahmood has left the tour business and is going into teaching so guess Ash will have to do. (He really was great - terrific since of humor!) Was that a great trip or what. We stayed out at the Oasis hotel which had rooms that were OK but the grounds look like something out of a botonical garden. Really something for the middle of the desert. The cruise was wonderful from Luxor to Aswan - that's where we welcomed the New Year. As I wrote on another post, my biggest complaint was getting home with a BLANK video tape that was supposed to have been a nice momento of the cruise and the sites we visited. (Bob, did you or any one else have the same experience with the video?) <BR>Check some of the other postings for further comments on Trafalgar's tours especially their side trip to Abu Simbel. <BR>I am most definitely returning to Egypt but sans tour group.