Search

Trafalgar Tour of Egypt

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Laura

Trafalgar Tour of Egypt

Has anyone done the Trafalgar tour of Egypt? How was the tour in general? Did you stay at the Mena House in Cairo? How were the rooms provided by Trafalgar? Did you take the side trip to Abu Simbal? What was the cost? Was the trip by air or boat?

Old May 28th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Don

We didn't take the Trafalgar tour but a 13 day with Insight Vacations. Its owned by the same company that owns Trafalgar. The tour was excellent! We didn't stay at the Mena but at the LeMeridien Pyramids about a 10 min. walk from the Mena. Was very nice with everyone traveling with Insight getting a Pyramid view room. The Nile boat was also very nice with a good size room with a fridge for your water, etc. We did the Abu Simbel trip by air. Was well worth the time and money. A real highlight.

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Beedon

Both my wife and I just returned from Trafalgar's Best of Egypt tour, which was great! <BR> With a choice of three hotels, we picked the Mena House only because of the fantastic view of the pyramids. Keep in mind that the Mena house is the oldest of the hotels on the tour, so one can expect it to be ... lets say...not as modern. Nothing beats the view! <BR> Others in the tour stayed at the modern Ramses Hilton in downtown Cairo. The advantage is the closeness to the Egyptain museum (visit on your free time). Scenic it is not, being downtown in the traffic congested area of Cairo near KFC (Kentucky Fried Camel) &lt;grin&gt;. <BR> The other hotel in the pyramid area (no view), the Oasis, was modern and very nice according to a few who stayed there. Any of the three hotels offered are as good as any in Cairo. <BR> We did not go on the Abu Simbel ($270 per person more), but we did go on the optional $99 day trip to Alexandria. This option is well worth it! <BR>

Old May 29th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Alice

<BR> <BR>Laura, I'll sent my notes to you about my travels with Trafagar in Egypt. They may answer many of your questions. <BR> <BR>Regards, Alice <BR> <BR>

Old May 29th, 2001, 09:47 PM
Alice

<BR>Laura, I was unable to get my notes to you at the address you gave in your posting. If you woud like a copy, just e-mail me at the above address.

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:36 PM
Marian

Hello: <BR> I have a question for anyone who has done the Abu Simbel trip while traveling in Egypt. Can it be done independently, or is it better to do it as an optional trip with the tour company. We will be traveling with Trafalger to Egypt in November and want to see Abu Simbel. The Trafalger price is $270.00 additional, but I have read that the roundtrip airfare there is only $85.00 from Aswan. Has anyone done this independently while traveling with an organized tour? All responses are appreciated. Marian

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:12 AM
michele

Marian, <BR>We flew to Abu independently. Our US travel agent suggested we buy our tickets in Egypt, BUT I read somewhere that flights are often full so I had him purchase the tickets here. It was touch and go for awhile, but he did get us tickets. I can't remember the price. I think it was more than $85, but less, much less, than $270. I would book an early flight, less heat, fewer crowds. <BR> <BR>Michele