Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

has anyone actually traveled to Israel lately?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 01:19 PM
ano

just curious.<BR><BR>and how about Iraq - can an average person actually go there or would you be beheaded upon arrival?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:17 AM
xx

Tourism is Israel is down, dramatically, but yes, tourists still go. <BR><BR>Iraq? Not if you're coming form a country that doesn't have diplomatic relations with it.<BR><BR>Why the curiosity?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:29 AM
gail

Re Iraq - now that they have let all the prisoners out, maybe they will turn the prisons into B&Bs.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:18 PM
Neil

I was in Israel this past summer and had a wonderful time. It's true tourism is way down and the beach resorts are sadly mostly empty, but Israelis are a resilient people -- the bars and clubs and restaurants are full and vibrant and life goes on mostly unencumbered. <BR><BR>US media gives us a very narrow vision of what's going on in Israel. The suicide bombings are horriffic and of course make you think twice about certain desinations, but if you put it in perspective you'd find that it's more likely to die in a car crash in Israel than in a terror attack.<BR><BR>There are dangers in nearly every desination in the world, especially these days, I'd submit that you're not in much more danger in Tel Aviv than you are in New York or Paris.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:06 AM
jhm

I was in Israel in February, and would second everything Neil said.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Sam

To visit Iraq as tourists (that is, not in a professional capacity), citizens of most &quot;Western&quot; countries must sign up for a group guided tour - you provide your particulars in advance and the authorised tour company handles visas, accomodation, etc. It used to be difficult for US citizens to obtain approval for this, but now it is easier as Iraq is interested in having US citizens see that Iraq is not the way they perhaps imagine. Apart from those who are interested in the current political situation, many people go to visit the various archaeological sites of note in the country.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Ron

...Just got back from Israel.<BR><BR>Had a great time, with wonderful weather, sunny and warm, 80 degrees most of the time. Unlike what people may think, it's very quiet and safe, people are shopping at the malls (great prices for tourist because of the strong $, and the local recession), the streets are crowded, new highways have been built, new hi-rise buildings, good service in restaurants, lots of shows, art fairs, galleries, &quot;farmer markets&quot; on Fridays everywhere.<BR><BR>Definitely a great time for tourists. Despite what's written in the media.

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was in israel last summer. Had a great time.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:45 PM

Not since March 2000 and even then customs was something I won't forget in a hurry. As my friend and I entered we were asked what seemed like 50 questions and then when we left, our backpacks were opened and they went through everything, all the stuff we bought in the dead sea was scanned, along with clothes etc. Very itimidating I must say.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Jed

I was in Israel 3 weeks ago. The sidewalks were mostly quiet, as people do not want to go out and walk unless necessary. The roads were jammed with cars.<BR><BR>Lisa - I had to open my suitcase in the airport on the way out also. I didn't think it was &quot;intimidating,&quot; just necessary.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 08:07 PM

I agree Jed that it was necessary but I think the real threats lie within Israel opposed to tourists coming in.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Jed

Last week, on a flight to Florida, my wife, a grey haired lady, had to open her suitcase.<BR><BR>Threats, real, less likely, or imagined, can come from anywhere.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 03:35 PM

Our synagogue group goes to Israel in July. On Keshet's (tourist agency in Israel) website several tours are listed.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Anymore recent reports from Israel or Jerusalem? Have an opportunity to go in a few months and would love to read any updated reports on the climate there. Thanks.
Old May 14th, 2003, 12:29 PM

I am thinking of going to Israel. I am travelling with a friend who used to live there but is unsure where the riskier parts of Irael are now a days. Can anyone shed any light as the riskier areas..for example we thought of going to the Sinai desert but have been told that this trip is out, no way. Also we have been told not to take buses and open cafes are tricky...? But are there any places that you must avoid as a tourist.
thanks.
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:07 PM

http://www.goisrael.com/ check this site, and others that are linked to it. Do some Google search for &quot;Tour Israel&quot;. I would feel safe in most of Israel. After all, NO PLACE in this world is really safe anymore...

When there, you'll get some ideas of where to go and use what routes. Jerusalem is quite safe, but there is no reason to go into the &quot;territories&quot;. There are many tour bus programs that cover the country quite extensively. Or you can use commuter buses or trains.

When are you planning to go there?

Generally, it is STILL much safer to travel in Israel -- than walk on downtown street of many US cities...
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:30 AM

I live here in Tel Aviv it's not as bad as it seems, If you want I can recommend about good restaurant and nice place to go out - the guide is not up to date.
Michal
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 01:30 PM

There are plenty of reasons to go to Judea and Samaria--such as Hebron, burial place of our patriarchs and matriarchs for one.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Spent 3 weeks in Israel in June. Cant say I was bored one minute. The weather was great- 21 straight perfectly sunny days. You can easily fill up a couple weeks worth of time. From walking around jerusalem (I wouldnt advise on taking the local jerusalem buses),to surfing in Netanya, hiking in the Negev desert in the south, grilling freshly caught fish in Tiberius, floating in the dead sea, you could go on forever.There are fewere tourists because of the security situation, but if you use discretion and common sense,use taxis instead of buses, and avoid some of the overcrowded areas i.e. downtown jerusalem, you should be ok. As for the climate, from april to november it's very dry in the entire country, with temperatures maxing out at an average of 85f in Jerusalem, around 90 on the coastal plain, and desert heat in the south with temps. regularly topping 105. Winter months can be very wet, and generally cool. Note- it's usually about 15 degrees cooler in jerusalem, especially in the winter.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:30 PM

I went last March (2003) and am going again in May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -