Tour guide rec for Cairo and Luxor

Mar 21st, 2012, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Tour guide rec for Cairo and Luxor

My 22-year-old son is determined to travel solo to Egypt in May when he completes his study abroad. Does anyone have a recent experience with a competent tour guide that you can recommend? He will be there for five days.

Many thanks from a worried mom.
Mar 22nd, 2012, 12:21 AM

I would highly recommend Debbie Senters of Casual Cairo Detours. She is an American who has lived in Cairo for over 10 years, and posts here (giving advice, not touting her business) as Casual_Cairo.

http://www.casualcairodetours.com/
Mar 22nd, 2012, 02:21 AM

Debbie is great but not for a youngster, he wants a whole different experience and I doubt he will have much money. Buy him a copy of the Lonely Planet or Rough Guide. There are dozens of hostel/backpacker accommodation recommended in there and after his first night he will have meet a whole new group of people doing the same thing. It also has lots of other useful information about places to see, how to get there cheaply, etc etc. There are thousands of foreign students in Egypt. A good place to go to make friends is the American University in Cairo. The underground/metro is a great way of getting around, he might even manage a trip to Luxor where I live. The overnight train is used extensively by students. He will have a great time, make lots of new friends. At 22 it is time to cut the apron strings.
Mar 22nd, 2012, 02:36 AM

LOL! I was thinking Debbie would help "Mom" be less worried!!!!
Mar 22nd, 2012, 04:21 AM

lol well let him have her phone number as backup but FGS he is 22 not 17 he will be fine and have a great time. When I meet guests of the train I see streams of young things coming off the train. I had a drink in a backpacker place in Hurghada once and there was about 12 of them who hadn't know each other a week ago. I did not even suggest my own accommodation Flats in Luxor because I know these people, they like the Boomerang (run by an Australian girl), the Bob Marley Hostel, the Nefertiti and countless others of a similar type and price range where they will meet other young things. These are Luxor places but there are others in Cairo, especially around the university. the Lonely Planet has pages of them.
Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:17 AM

I second the motion for Debbie also.

Hi Grcxx3
Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:20 AM

Hiya, Percy!
Mar 26th, 2012, 01:13 AM

I would recommend Ms. Heba Saeed [email protected] as a tour guide, she is excellent girl
Mar 29th, 2012, 06:01 AM

hi Jayne, I can understand your fear but Egypt is a safe place. The best way to be calm and sure that your son is ok, is to hire the tour guide through a trusted travel agency. You can check this one: www.gattours.com They have great guides there.
Hope this be helpful for you!
Mar 29th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Just wanted to note - Casual Cairo Detours IS a very trusted agency, and Debbie is an invaluable contributor to this forum.

(just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea)
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:47 AM

Yes, Casual Cairo 'may be' a trusted agency but certainly will not be the only one.
I have a big experience in trips with this agency (GAT Tours) and I know many of their tour guides, who are really very polite and qualified, looking after their travelers, to make them to spend the best trip ever!
Mar 30th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Staying out of this little word war with a new poster whose only posts are touting GAT Tours.

Happy Friday, everyone!
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Hi everybody,
I dont want to enter in any "little word war" BUT i agree with Cc08.
GAT Tours (www.gattours.com) is a real trusted travel agency. Never they will let you alone, all the team is respectful and so professional. They take care about all your requests even the details you forget. During my trip in Egypt with my daughter (12 years old), never i mentionned to have specials activities for her BUT they added to my tour some activities (like the Pharaonic village) to satisfy the both of us, for me it means that they take care about their travellers to make them liked Egypt.
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:07 AM

It is interesting that people who already touted that company (GAT Tours)by mentioning it in the message and who also promoted several times another company and tour guide are 'sensitive' about new posters comments.
Just my love for Egypt and the desire of recommending to other travelers (who requested it, by the way) one of the best ways to visit that country, and then be able to have a great vacation there as I did, make me, for sure, to advice the BEST travel agency, that in my opinion will give them the BEST service.
Allow me, (please!) to be proud of my lack of experience posting here.
As you are a more experienced poster, you should be kind of an example for new posters like me, and let me give my free opinion!
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:10 AM

Thank you, Oceane! I hope you had a great time in Egypt! When did you travel here?
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:14 AM

Yes it was an amazing trip in a wonderful country with a perfect program. I was in Egypt 2 years before.
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:19 AM

<>

Note: I did NOT "tout" GAT Tours.
And I'm not sensitive. Just cautious.

Again - Happy Friday to all!
Drinks are on me!
Mar 30th, 2012, 07:58 AM

I just am curious where Cc08 and oceane are from? Where do you come from and when were you in Egypt? Always interesting to know this stuff. If you are new to this board and you intend to visit us often, please tell us a bit about yourselves so we can get to know you. Most of us "regular" posters know each other pretty well.
May 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
MD

We used Ahmed Hamed Yousif ([email protected]) Depending on what he would want to see and do, this might be the guide for him. Are you looking for the complete service, driver, transport, and guide to explain the sites?

It can't hurt to ask. You have several leads, give them an email and see what the responses are like.

I had originally planned the "I'll get a guide from the hotel each morning - they must have a list; or get a taxi". As I said in my post - boy am I glad I went full service.

This is my thoughts from a very short observation of Egypt:
From what little I heard and read, taxi service is chaotic and odds are that a taxi driver picked at random might not understand where you want to go and you may not understand how to bargain the fare. (I heard that the new meters, like the road lines, are just decoration). A lot of the services like finding you a guide, the guide service itself, etc. operate on the "commission" model. The hotel finds a guide, expects something in return from him. The guide takes you to shops as well as the tourist site, he gets a commission.

Some of the hotels offer tours - "see the pyramids" for example. So, they already have that arrangement with a tour company, and that is what you may get if you ask them to find a guide.

So it's like wandering into a random restaurant. You may luck into the best thing in the world or you may regret your choice.

I hope he enjoys his trip regardless!
May 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
MD

Sorry, fat fingers - Ahmed's email actually is [email protected] - I can;'t figure out how to edit to add the "h".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO