Reload this Page >

Visa Needed For A Petra Visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 06:19 PM
Mike

Just wondering if I will need a visa for a day trip to Petra via Eilat, Israel? And if so, can I pick one up at the border or do I need to get one before I leave the states? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Mike

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 07:38 PM
Michele

Mike, <BR>Unless things have changed in the last year, you will need a visa to go to Jordan. We had a small group in our tour who were continuing onto to Jordan and I thought they secured there visas while in Israel. I would suggest you speak to a travel agency or contact a Jordanian embassy to double-check. You certainly wouldn't want to get there and have something go wrong. <BR> <BR>Of course, there is probably a more recent, more experienced traveler here that can tell you. <BR> <BR>Hope you have a great time!

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 11:21 PM
George Holt

It was a few years back but when I went to Petra on a day excursion from Eilat I paid for a visa at the border as part of the border formalities. <BR> <BR>It was an early start and a long day but worth it. That moment when you turn the last bend in the canyon and get your first glimpse of the 'treasury' framed in the opening is priceless. <BR> <BR>Visa rules may be different for folk intending to stay for more than a day or travelling outside of an excursion.

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 01:01 AM
Jo

Just to second the above response, I was there in December and obtained a visa at the border. It took about 10 minutes.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 04:29 PM
Jo

Jo, I'm curious as to what you were charged for a visa at the border. We have been advised the cost is $44 per person, but we are arriving in Amman by air. Also, have been advised that Jordan charges an exit fee of about $12. Did you find this to be true? <BR> <BR>Israel tells me there is no visa fee to enter, but I read on the internet this week that someone was charged $50 to exit. I hope that's just a rumor! <BR> <BR>Rosemary

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 04:32 PM
Rosemary

Ooops. I goofed and sent my message to Jo incorrectly. <BR> <BR>In case you don't see it, I am wondering what you were charged at the border to enter Jordan. I am going next month and have been advised we will pay $44 entering at Amman (by air) and an exit fee of $12 at the Israel border. Israel says there is no visa fee to enter, but I read on the internet that someone was charged $50 to EXIT Israel. Let's hope it isn't so. <BR> <BR>Rosemary

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 05:29 PM
Calpurnia

I've never paid any money to exit Israel. But visas are more expensive at the boarder for Jordan than if you get one in the States.