Serengeti and Masai Mara Safari in second half of May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Masai and Serengeti in second half of May. The rates are great but am totally confused about the impact of 'long rains' and it's impact on our game viewing experience. Does it mean we will see very little of the predators? Any help and guidance will be most helpful!
Old Jan 18th, 2014, 09:51 AM

The rains should be mostly done by then, but the grass might still be a bit high in the Serengeti. However, the Migration herds will most likely be in the central Serengeti. Make sure that you're staying in that general area. There are always predators around the herds. The herds won't be in the Mara in Kenya by then, but the Mara can be good at most any time of the year. Is there a reason why you wouldn't just stay in Tanzania? Tarangire and the Ngorongoro Crater are great places, too. The Crater is especially good for lions, and Tarangire always has lots of elephants.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 08:23 AM

Agree with ShayTay - I would just stay in Tanzania unless you have more than 2 weeks - second half of May sounds like about 2 weeks. Perfect amount of time to see the Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Tarangire and Lake Manyara.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Several of our trips had been in mid-May and we saw plenty of wildlife. As mentioned earlier, taller grasses may make spotting a bit more challenging for some animals but you will see loads. While there is a common misperception that animals "disappear" during the rains, grazers and predators still have to see and where could they all hide? Often after a rain, the atmosphere will be great for picture taking. For our trips in May were inconvenienced very little by the occasional shower. Most occurred during the night or were relatively short lived that little game drive time involved the top being down.

I too concur with idea of just Tanzania for the two week time. Less driving and time (to get into Kenya, etc), one less visa to purchase, and yet loads of wildlife throughout the northern circuit.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 10:02 AM

If your trip is less than 10/days just stay in Tanzania.
Otherwise you require Visas for both countries plus the Yellow Fever inoc along with proof of same for entry to/from/between countries.

If still wish to visit the Mara where I've been fortunate a few years to encounter the migrating herds arriving here late-May, but even without the migration... plenty of game. But do know that unless you fly between countries as there is no direct entry between the two, the drive takes an entire day (about 10/hrs... some on lousy roads), where flight is about 1/hr depending on the route flown (via east or west).
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 11:33 PM

Alexander
I have been in both Kenya & Tanzania for the whole of last year 2013, what i would suggest for you is to contact travel agent in both Kenya & Tanzania, this is because rain is unpredictable,i can also sagest for you some of tour agent which took me on a safaris like wwww.rightchoicesafaris.net. they took me on safari for 4days mara Nauru i think they can advice you on the forward.
Best of luck
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 11:49 PM

Choi
Having been a resident for three consecutive years, in both
Kenya & Tanzania. I agree with Alexander that rain is unpredictable and its better if you can have one or two a gent travel to advice you the way forward.
Good luck.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 10:46 AM

Agree with the others. Will those great rates let you add another couple of days? If so, book 'em.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 10:35 PM

The roads in Masai mara are in good condition, the only disadvantage is that you will to stick to main roads so that you avoid getting stuck. Alot of animals also, are very active when its raining, so you will not miss much.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 03:38 AM

meant to say "eat" not "see"
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 05:37 AM

Let me play English teacher and correct rsnyder's post per his comment here:

<blue><b>rsnyder</b></blue> <gray>on Jan 22, 14 at 6:38am</gray>

meant to say "eat" not "see"

<i> "As mentioned earlier, taller grasses may make spotting a bit more challenging for some animals but you will <strike>see</strike> <b>eat</b> loads." </i>

Well, that does not sound very appealing.

This is more like it.
<I>'While there is a common misperception that animals "disappear" during the rains, grazers and predators still have to <B>EAT</B> and where could they all hide? </I>

Seriously DO click on rsnyder's name and then check out his many trip reports that even have May in the title. His photo links within the reports will have you booking for May in no time.

My experience with rain and animals: The rain relaxes the hoofed species both during the rain and right after. Not just my impression, my guides have confirmed it. Skittish gazelles can be photographed sitting down next to the vehicle in the rain, for example. But rain, which can be accompanied by cooler temps and sometimes wind may send animals to the cover of the forests for protection. I have had to abandon a drive due to ferocious torrents on very rare occasions, but that has also been true due to errant showers in the DRY SEASON.

In sum, my trips in the rainy seasons (though I have not been to East Africa in the specific month of May) have been productive and rewarding.

If you choose Kenya, do get a Land Rover/Ranger or Cruiser or similar 4x4 so you can get around better. The white mini-buses are not as good pushing through mud. Tanz uses the 4x4s throughout, so there is no choice.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 02:20 AM

Hello,
How are you doing
In may the rain will be almost over so you will still see most of the animals.
try midways tours and travel ldt they give the best packages and firm vehicles to stand the rain incase it rains.
Their prices are very reasonable
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 03:49 AM

Thanks atravelynn for the assist. Makes a lot more sense. So much for being in a hurry.

Dick