Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tour Company reccommendations for solo traveler to East Africa

Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

I would love to go to Africa- it's something I've wanted to do for a loooong time! However, I am a single traveller, and don't want to break the bank.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive but reputable tour company for a single traveler? I don't want to camp out every night- I am adventurous but do enjoy clean accommodations with indoor plumbing!

All of your suggestions would be most welcome!
Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM

Africa Point has come up as one of the least expensive options on Fodors. You can put their name in the search box and see comments on their itineraries. I noticed you were looking for their phone #.

Have you seen rsnyderís report? He went with them (twice I think) on their group departure and liked both trips.

For East Africa these have been mentioned as budget options.

Gametrackers http://www.gametrackersafaris.com/
Sunny Safaris http://www.sunnysafaris.com/

Iíve read two Frommerís articles giving kudos to this Canadian company
Lion World www.lionworldtravel.com

There are lots of us solo travelers to Africa. Join the club!
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM

I believe rsnyder used 2Afrika for two of his trips.

2Afrika does have scheduled group departures you can join. I believe they use Naked Wilderness in Kenya and Predators in Tanzania (or at least they used to).

If you want to travel by road and keep costs down, it will be a matter of finding an operator with a group scheduled. Otherwise, you could consider flying. Staying longer at each camp would help amortize the cost of the flights.

Good luck!
Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks Patty for knowing who went where. 2Afrika has some good pricing too.

Since you also mentioned Naked Wilderness, I know someone who looked at almost every company and found Naked Wilderness to be the least expensive.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM

Naked Wilderness or BoobyTrekking. Now there's a tough choice. Mala Mala may just wait until 2008.
regards - tom
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:49 PM

Naked Wilderness or BoobyTrekking. Now there's a tough choice.

Tom,

Perhaps they will merge and form a new company ... Naked Booby Wilderness Trekking ... then it's a no-brainer!

Bill
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:56 PM

Bill, brilliant, you are a genius!!!!
regards - tom
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Bill,
There's your answer to that other thread on opening a business in Africa. You can facilitate the merger!
Apr 4th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Hi "happy2travel",

Have you ever considered joining a group? I've always enjoyed the company of others while traveling in Africa. Some of us have travelled with Overseas Adventure Travel out of the US (www.oattravel.com). I've been on their "Safari Serengeti." They also have a combined Kenya/Tanzania trip. I don't think they charge you a single supplement if you're willing to be matched with a roommate (even if they aren't able to do a match).

I'm taking a group to Tanzania in June. There are 10 ladies going, most of whom have never met, and I'm sure we'll have new friends by the end of the trip.
Apr 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

ShayTay, it's funny that you mentioned OAT, because I just booked a trip to Egypt with them. I've never used them before, but they've received mostly good reviews for Egypt, and it seemed like a good value. From what I've read, though, they have had some pretty mediocre reviews of their tours to Africa. I'd love to hear from someone who has taken their tour to Africa.

Atravelynn, thanks for the links- OI will definitely look at them. BTW, I love your screen name!

Patty, thanks for the suggestion of 2Africa. That company sounds familiar. I will look into them as well.
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:23 AM

I've done OAT's Egypt, Tanzania, and Costa Rica trips. I would NOT do their Southern Africa trip, however, as I'm not impressed by where they go.

The Tanzania trip "Safari Serengeti" is a good one. Their ground operator is Kibo Guides, an excellent organization. OAT has cut out a couple of parks from their itinerary (Arusha and Lake Manyara.) If you want a moderately priced trip to East Africa, though, it's a pretty good deal.

I've put together a couple of private group trips using Kibo. I've added some things that OAT doesn't do, such as visiting Lake Eyasi and the Hadzabe Bushmen, or working with an orphanage. I can't get airfare as cheaply as OAT does, though.

My main gripe about OAT is that the Boston office usually messes up somewhere along the way. Just watch all your paperwork carefully and have a plan if you get stranded en-route, as a friend of mine did. OAT wasn't any help to her. However, once you get "in country", the guides are GREAT!
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:32 AM

I would go to the TATO website

www.tatotz.org

which is the Tanzanian Association of tour Operators and check out the Members and send an email off to the ones who appeal after looking at their websites. I know many don't know charge a single supplement if you are joining a group - only if you want to go as a single. Try Maasai Wanderings, Safari Maker or Kiliwarriors - all boutique companies that can offer your 'usual' itineraries with added adventures to make it really exciting.