Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tour Company for Egypt (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tour-company-for-egypt-194583/)

Tangata Apr 8th, 2002 07:48 PM

Tour Company for Egypt

We are thinking of visiting Egypt later this year. I know that Trafalgar, Globus and Insight all run tours but I have also come across Hermes Tours. Has anybody any experience with them?<BR><BR>Also, does anybody have any recommendations for the best time to go?<BR><BR>Many Thanks<BR>

gail Apr 9th, 2002 03:37 AM

We used Globus for 10 day tour last spring. All accomodations were wonderful - even stayed at Mena House in Giza in room with views of pyramids. Pace was very active - often up early to avoid crowds at historic sites. We went in mid-April and a few days I was hotter than I have ever been in my life (and heat does not usually bother me). I can't imagine going later in the spring/summer than that. Friends who have been in January found a few nights actually too cool. Have a great trip - Egypt was incredible.

Dick Apr 9th, 2002 07:47 AM

Tangata, we too used Globus for trip in late June, 2000. Yes, Egypt was hot but well worth the trip. Maybe the heat was one reason several of the sites we visted were relatively uncrowded. Just be sure to drink lots of fluids if you go during the heat time. And, the fact that you are not sweating should not be taken as a sign you are not losing body fluids. We would like to go back some day to revisit several sites. If it had to be the same time as before I welcome the opportunity. As the previous poster indicated we had some great stays. If you would like more details I will gladly respond. Enjoy!!

t Apr 11th, 2002 07:12 PM

Hi Gail, Dick,<BR><BR>Many thanks for the information. We have been on two trips with Globus and enjoyed them; so I guess in this case it might be a case of better the devil you know.<BR><BR>We were thinking of November or December so hopefully the weather will not be too bad – although we are used to the heat.<BR>

Christi Apr 20th, 2002 12:57 PM

Abercrombie and Kent!!! The only way to go. You get what you pay for.....

Nancy Apr 21st, 2002 03:53 PM

Tangata,<BR>I agree with the above posting. Abercrombie & Kent are the best. We went to Egypt last year and used A & K. We had great guides and were well taken care of. They are worth every penny.

Not Me Apr 21st, 2002 04:31 PM

We went last year and used a small boutique company called Egypt Magic for the perfect arrangements. They not only know Egypt inside out, but provided private guides who were worlds better than the typical Trafalgar guide I've had before. And they were a bit less expensive than the glossy brochure companies.

Polly May 5th, 2002 07:28 AM

I was very happy with Trafalgar. My tour guide was an Egyptologist, a professor at the University in Cairo. I also stayed at the Meno House which is lovely.