Tanz Visa in US or upon arrival?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have finalized my safari trip with Good Earth to Tanzania from October 25th until November 2nd. GE does not take care of the visa so I was reading on the Tanzania official website that we should obtain our visa by sending our passport to DC...very uncomfortable doing that especially since we travel overseas regularly and need our passport handy...they also mention that we can obtain our visa upon arrival but do not recommend that as the ideal option...thoughts?
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 04:15 AM
sandi

You can obtain your Visa upon arrival at JRO.

Download the application from the Tanzania website, complete it and have your USD$50 in hand when you deplane. Head direct to the Visa counter (in the same direction as Immigration) and hand in everything. It shouldn't take but a few minutes. You DO NOT need photos if obtaining Visa upon arrival.

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 04:23 AM

I checked with the Tanzanian Consulate in Sydney as my daughter is spending several months in Canada prior to oing to Tanzania with us in January. Thye assured me there is no problem getting the visa on arrival.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much!
Also, I could not find anything on required shots just recommended...can you point me to somewhere on the web for that info.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:17 AM
sandi

micjor -

As far as inoculations, you will find information on those recommended on the CDC website; select Tanzania. (sorry I don't have the link).

What is recommended for people who travel regardless, is to be current on anything one had as a child - Tetanus, a Polio Booster. Also Hep-A. The Tetanus and Hep-A are good for 10-years; the Polio booster for the rest of your life. And, of course, malaria meds - Malarone, being the one used this days with few side effects.

After reading the CDC information, discuss this with your health professional, based on your own history and make your decisions accordingly.

Don't be surprised when you learn the cost of these if your physician doesn't include them as an ordinary office visit. A specialized Travel Clinic will charge top dollar, though a few people have used the Public Health Clinics in their towns and save some money.

The Malarone meds, if not covered by a co-pay if you have a drug plan, will run in the range of $90-$125/person for a standard course (20-27 tabs).

Hope this gets you started on plowing thru the CDC info. And do remember, the CDC does tend to be a bit alarmist, the reason to discuss with a medical professional, preferably one who specializes in tropical medicine.

Happy travel.

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 10:14 AM

Micjor, not that Sandi's comments need any reinforcing (as she is right on) but just a few comments from one just returned from Tanzania. Got our visas right at airport. Didn't even need the application although we had it ready. Just have the cash! And, no need for photos. Process was not that long either.
Dick
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for superb information.