Johannesburg Hotels

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johannesburg Hotels

We will be staying overnight in Jo'burg prior to leaving the next day for our Botswana safari and wanted to know of some good hotels in the area. We would like some place with a pool where we can relax.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:03 AM

I like the Westcliff, which has a nice pool, and is a short ride from the restaurants in Sandton.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 11:00 PM

What's your price range, and/or what kind of hotel and/or grading? I'm afraid your question is the proverbial piece of string.

The Westcliff that has been recommended is probably a superb hotel. I only say "probably" because as a Jo'burg resident I have never stayed there, although I have used its bar (the "Polo Lounge") and excellent restaurant. It's at the very upper end of the price spectrum (www.westcliff.co.za), along with the likes of the Saxon (www.saxon.co.za). The Westcliff's pool area probably can't be beat, it is way up on the hill overlooking the treed Zoo area. (We're approaching Winter now, I don't know if it's a heated pool but I'd expect it to be given the standard of the hotel!)

I know that Roccco will punt the Michaelangelo, and that's another 5-star. (I couldn't find a website with a rather cursory search, which seems rather strange, but no doubt Roccco will be able to supply this.) One possible advantage of this hotel is that it's on Nelson Mandela Square (recently renamed from Sandton Square) that has several other restaurants and adjoins the mammoth Sandton City shopping complex.

When I last had to find an up-market hotel for an overseas business visitor, we settled on "10 Bompas". (He had been to the Westcliff and liked the setting but their quoted rate was substantially higher and outside of his company limit.) As you'll see from their website (www.tenbompas.co.za), each of their ten suites is decorated by a different interior designer in a different style and you can scroll through them and then try and book your choice. Originally a private home in a suburb, the hotel doesn't have any special views (unlike the Westcliff for example), but I inspected the suite that my guest had chosen and it was superb. And they don't even charge for mini-bar drinks! I haven't eaten at their restaurant, but it has had very good reviews. (I see that they STILL haven't corrected the spelling of "satellite" on their homepage, despite my attempts to tell them. Sloppy)

Those are just four of several "high
-end" hotels, but of course there are many in other price and grading brackets.

Just one futher note, I found when booking 10 Bompas (and others before it) that there is often some kind of "special" that is a far lower price than the rate advertised. Although if you're obviously an overseas visitor perhaps it might be harder to obtain those "specials".
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 10:58 AM

There are some middle price hotels near the airport -- the one I remember is a Holiday Inn. It's very big, and there is at least one pool. There's a pub too, and a restaurant. (Or at least it was there a few years ago. Jo'burg is constantly rebuilding, so things may not be the same now.)

When will you be there? Johannesburg is too cold for swimming in the winter, so if a pool is important, you'll want a heated one, I think.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:41 PM

The Grace in Rosebank is highly recommended.
I stayed there twice and loved it. It is a boutique style, warm,very good service,and reasonable rates can be had. The restaurant is deservedly reputed with a great included breakfast. They will arrange airport transfers if you wish.
The neighborhood is good with close by shopping. Yes it has a pool.

I have also stayed at the Holiday Inn Garden Court in Sandton. It is fine,good value, better than Holiday Inns in America. Across from the Michaelangelo Hotel and the shopping centre (good Thai restaurant there.)
Bon Voyage.