Africa Cafe dinner reservation confirmed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received a confirmation for dinner for 2 at Africa Cafe for Saturday, October 20th. Now I have to make a reservation for Robben Island. Leaving on 16 October and starting to get excited about our second trip to Africa. We went to Kenya and Tanzania in the fall of 2005. EZ
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Just two things I learned since arriving here 2 days ago. First, be aware that Africa Cafe no longer has music in their dining rooms..apparently patrons were complaining that table service suffered when the staff were performing.

Please make your reservations for Robben Island asap. We tried to make them upon arrival here only to be told they were sold out until for the entire time we will be in the city!!

CapeTown is marvelous..we are already planning a return after only two days here!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM

ekscrunchy,
Have you tried contacting a tour operator like Hylton Ross for the Robben Island tix? I believe that they often buy a bunch in advance for the tours that they run. Your concierge could probably check for you.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Ah, too bad eezam. We have a reservation for Africa Cafe on Oct 27.

If you have a travel agent, maybe they can get you a reservation for Robben Island. Ours is Oct 28.

We leave Wed morning! Can't wait.
Carol
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM

Thanks to both of you. I do have a travel agent here in CapeTown and I will ask her about Hylton Ross...

Africa Cafe is a cute place but there are so many amazing restaurants here with much better food...the decor is interesting, though, and the people that work there are earnest and very sweet. I think it a place perhaps to sample once but not one I would rush back to...I was disappointed that there was no entertainment and the staff told us that many patrons feel the same. One place I would put on your dining lists is Ginja if you are seeking excellent local food with varied European and Asian influences in a contemporary setting. We had a wonderful meal there last night and our local guests agreed with us that the place is currently one of the best restaurants in the city.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy - One of the option on our trip will be Robben Island so they will get the tickets for us. Any recommendations for a restaurant at V&A wharf? Did you visit the Jewish museum, holocaust center and synagogue? Any places that you would suggest we visit? thanks-ez
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:46 AM

Shame about the music-entertainent at the Africa Cafe - it was all part of the wonderful experience. I will be giving Africa Cafe my input when I visit next, and perhaps if we all do the same, we will out-vote those who complained about the service. Personally, I never had a problem with the service when the music/dancing was taking place - I was too preoccupied with the lovely singing to worry about food!! The Africa Cafe will remain a favourite of my family - the food and atmosphere are great! It is always one of our first stops in CT. Robin