Botswana plus ??

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Botswana plus ??

After going back and forth between Botswana & Zambia for 2007, Botswana won out. Zambia will be 2008. We will be doing 12 nights in Wilderness safari camps (5 paw) the beginning of June. After reading the post, "Victoria Falls is it worth it?", it seems the consensus is that the time is better spent in South Africa. Cape Town doesn't seem like a great option weather wise?? Should we add a camp in one of the private reserves like Sabi Sands?
CJ
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Unless you particularly want to combine two countries you really have plenty to do in Botswana for 12 nights...

For example:

3 nights in Savuti area

6 nights in the Okavango Delta (either 2 in one water camp and 2 each in two land camps or split between one water camp and one land camp only)

3 nights at Jack's Camp or San Camp in the Kalahari

This gives you a chance to really appreciate a range of Botswana environments - the Kalahari is unique and an amazing experience, the Savuti area is an excellent place to see wild dogs and, depending on time of year, huge elephant herds and the Delta is... well, the Delta! To get the most from the Delta you really need to spend just a little time on water activities - since water is the life blood of the Delta and the land camps in the area provide outstanding game viewing in wonderfully remote areas.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:33 AM

After 12 nights on safari in Botswana, I would much rather do something different, like the activities around Victoria Falls, than travel all the way to the Sabi Sands to go on more game drives. I don't agree that the consensus is that Victoria Falls is not a worthwhile addition to a Botswana safari.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM

I'm sorry, reading Michael's post I realise I misunderstood - you're considering something to add onto the 12 nights you've set aside for Botswana.

I haven't been to Vic. Falls so can't comment on that option.

Cape Town is a long way to go but if your flying via South Africa anyway it may be a good option. I loved CT but it depends on whether you want more nature/ wilderness or a complete contrast.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:07 AM

I agree that Victoria Falls is worth a visit. I'm spending 9 nights in Wilderness camps this June and then 2 nights at Vic Falls (River Club) and then off to Zambia for 5 nights. I plan to visit a school in Livingston, do a half day canoe trip and do an elephant ride. I think experiencing the culture alone would be worth it.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM

I just got back from a safari to Botswana, Vic Falls and Sabi Sands. We didn't want to do all the "adventure" activities at Vic Falls, so we only spent one night on the Zim side, staying at Ilala Lodge. It's a nice place and is close enough to walk to the Falls. This was my second visit to the Falls and I think that it's worth it, given how close you are. They are absolutely breathtaking. You can get there early enough from Botswana to see the Falls in the afternoon and also see them the next morning before you leave. You would also have time to do a sunset cruise above the Falls, or some other activity, such as a flight above the Falls. WS can arrange this for you.

We chose to also go to Kirkman's in Sabi Sands after returning to Jo'burg from Vic Falls. I knew that we would see rhinos there, which you almost certainly won't see in Botswana. We also saw lots of leopards. On one drive at Kirkman's, we saw the Big Five. It was a great way to end the trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:30 PM

One night in Victoria Falls is a nice addition to the safari. I've only been on the Zimbabwe side. Around the falls was completely undeveloped with wildlife all over--bush buck, mongoose, vervets, baboons. Zambia side has many positive comments written about it too. It is a beautiful sight.

Ilala (where I've stayed twice) is a nice location and easy walk to the falls at an economical price. So I'll second the Ilala recommendation.

Victoria Falls Hotel is an even closer walk to the falls and a more classic upscale property. I was there once too and enjoyed the stay.

There are many activities in Vic Falls like elephant riding, bungee jumping, rafting the rapids, a leisurely non-scary sunset raft cruise (the only activity I've done), flightseeing, etc.

Before recommending or discouraging Sabi Sands, what are your specific Botswana plans?

Maybe I'll see you in Zambia 2008 if you plan to travel in June again.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:29 PM
santharamhari

Kiboko,

I highly recommend Vic falls......with Botswana. i did that on my previous trip in November. I hv no reason to do it again in August when i go.

Vic falls is wonderful...if you like white water rafting, it is the best rapids i hv ever done!!! even otherwise there's lots to do.......it is also easily accessible thru Kasane. If you finish your trip in the Linyanti/savuti area, then u easily get to Vic falls