Tongabezi lodge

Sep 15th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Tongabezi lodge

Has anyone stayed here? The pictures on the website looks great. How does it compare to the River Club?

Is it inconvenient to stay in this area away from the falls if we only have 2 nights? Would you recommend the Royal Livingstone instead?
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:43 PM

I just posted on this place as a reply to someone's question on a honeymonon!

I loved Tongabezi, I went because as friend of mine went for her honeymoon and raved. I haven't stayed at the river lodge so I can't comment on it but Tongabezi is lovely.

WE stayed in the Wild Dog room which was fabulous right down on riverbank and completely open. The place is run like a safari campa and the activities are included. We wonderful sundowners on a small private island owned by Tongabezi and a lunch following some canoeing another day...they set up a formal table in the middle of a deserted island as a surpirise when we were expecting a pcnic. Best of all request dinner on the floating pontoon...each course come out by kayak!

When we were there which is four years ago the refurbished rooms had a much more minimalist/ elegant African theme and were, to my taste far preferable. I'd also recommend their other property Sausage Tree in the Lower Zambezi Nat Park.
Sep 17th, 2004, 11:28 AM

My wife and I stayed at Tongabezi last December and it was really wonderful.

We stayed in the Honeymoon House which has a good combination of an open view of the river as well as privacy. Service was excellent, and the staff was great at anticipating our needs.

I didn't think it was too far from the falls. Tongabezi provided a car and driver at all times to take us to whatever activities we wanted. In fact, as Livingstone town has gotten more built up, it was nice to get back out to Tongabezi in the evenings. The River Club is just next door. I haven't stayed at the River Club, but people I've met who have stayed there enjoyed it. Comparing my experiences to theirs, it seemed like Tongabezi and River Club are similar in what they offer but differ in style.

Our favorite activity was the Livingstone Island swim which was even more impressive (and scary) than the pictures on the website. You can arrange to do this even if you don't stay at Tongabezi.

Search this Thread