Tongabezi Lodge

Apr 18th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Tongabezi Lodge

Anyone have any feedback on Tongabezi Lodge in Zambia? Anyone visit the Mukuni Village in that area. I am planning a trip and like some interesting places rather than the big international hotels and also love seeing the people.

Thanks for your help.
Sue
Apr 18th, 2003, 03:34 PM

Sue,
my husband and I went to Tongabezi for three nights on our honeymoon in 2000 and we highly recommendit. I went because a friend highly recommended it and we loved it. It's a small place compared to so many of the other hotels/resorts round Vic Falls and it's run very much like a safari camp. The guide asks you what you would be interested in doing the next day and plans an itinerary out for you based on your choices.
We did some kayaking and had lunch on a small island (three courses served on china in the bush!) I would highly recommend that you arrange to have dinner served on the floating wooden platform on the Zambezi where the waiters bring your food by canoe! It's wonderful and means you don't have to eat with everyone else. We also loved their other property Sausage Tree and got a wonderfulpackage by leaving going at the end of the season (early Nov).
The room we stayed in had just been re done...it was gorgeous entirely open and yet very private ...it was the very last room down on the river. I think it was called wild dog or something odd. There's a picture of it on the web site...it's very large with a hugh mosquiteo net and a hugh sunken tub, very romantic and elegant. It is literally on the river bank.
In terms of doing more of the village thing I know that Robyn Pope safaris does have a relationship with a village eco tourism plan in the Southern Luangwa...we didn't do it but some other people we met did.
Hope that helps.
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your speedy response. I am putting together a group and we like these kinds of things. The dinner outside sounds nice but with 16 people we might lose some of the ambiance. But perhaps it can be done. Thank you, thank you!
Sue
Apr 18th, 2003, 06:19 PM

Sue,
I'm glad it helped. The floating platform is only for two people...in fact it tilted precariously when the waiter climbed on and off so it would definately take a dive with 16! I think the best thing about taking a group there is that you would probably get the whole lodge to yourselves.

Search this Thread