Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   "Today" - in Botswana (Where in the World is Matt Lauer) (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/today-in-botswana-where-in-the-world-is-matt-lauer-396813/)

sandi Feb 9th, 2004 03:35 AM

"Today" - in Botswana (Where in the World is Matt Lauer)

Last night with a few friends we each put down a country or at least a continent in which Matt Lauer, co-host of The Today Show would start this year's adventure - "Where in the World is Matt Lauer"

Naturally, I wrote Africa and specifically Botswana. The others wrote Asia (China), New Zealand, Middle East, Eastern Europe, South/Central America.

Well at 7am this morning as the show came on sure enought "I was correct" - Kavey - that must be my ESP.

Flying from JFK to the Canaries Is. to Gabarrone and onto the Delta. They open at Mombo Camp and will be going onto Abu Camp for elephant back safaris.

Well the show runs 3-hrs, so we'll have to see what the rest of the 2-1/2 hrs bring us. For those of you who receive this program - enjoy!

I've got to do something about this ESP!

Pat2003 Feb 9th, 2004 03:39 AM

Wow! Sandi, you must be bored. Nothing to do? No family, no husband/wife/partner, no commitments, like to tell others where to go, what to do and how to travel.

Kavey Feb 9th, 2004 04:10 AM

Pat, what on earth prompted that nasty and completely unecessary outburst?

This forum is for the discussion of travel, whether that's a trip one is planning for oneself, or just to talk about relevant travel shows and issues.

I can't see how it's your concern how Sandi spends her time or chooses to utilise this forum.

Sandi, just ignore it, there are always some who want to spoil the excitement of others.

I don't think I've seen the show you mention - would love to see any show including Mombo though!

sandi Feb 9th, 2004 04:14 AM

Pat2003 - and your reference means?

Sorry to disappoint, but life here is quite busy, though we do manage to get everything done in any 24-hour period; so plenty time to play and vacation. And if anyone asks a question that we can impart usefully information, are glad to do so.

sandi Feb 9th, 2004 04:33 AM

Kavey - Thanks. I believe the UK gets the Today Show via SKY. If I recall a friend's comment when the Today Show came thru over their/your way - but it comes on in the middle of the night.

As to Pat2003's comments, I sometimes wish fodors.com had a similiar function as on AOL - where you can "block" (ignore) certain posters. Maybe it's something we should persue with Fodors!!!

caribtraveler Feb 9th, 2004 04:43 AM

sandi..people who feel the need to be mean in that way are usually very unhappy people...so ignore him or her.
i watched matt lauer this morning before going to work..made me yearn for another safari!!

hlphillips2 Feb 9th, 2004 04:44 AM

Thanks to Matt and his wonderful first choice, I was late to work this morning!

Sandi, I had hoped he'd be in Africa at some point this week but had no inkling they'd pick Botswana right off -- I'm impressed with your selection! Particularly exciting that he's there since the big debate in our household is Botswana vs. South Africa for the next Africa trip.

Any thoughts for the next trip? I do think he'll be in New Zealand at some point (likely Rotorura), and maybe Canada or Alaska.

Pat2003 Feb 9th, 2004 04:59 AM

I am so sorry Sandi. Sometimes things get crazy causing to say something stupid. I read and appreciate your posts here and would like to appologize with all my heart.
Pat

sandi Feb 9th, 2004 05:25 AM

Pat2003 -

Don't go all mushy on me. Apology accepted.

sandi Feb 9th, 2004 05:39 AM

hlphillips2 - (Heather, yes?)

Depending on how much time you have, and time of year you can do both Botswana and SA.

While Botswana will be primarily safari in the Delta area and/or Chobe (can easily to 7-9/days here), if you want more safari you can get that in SA in various locations. But if you've been safaried out, you can end in Capetown which is a "real winner" of a city. Though our summer months is winter in SA, and CPT can be wet. Let us know as your decisions come together.

As to where Matt is heading off to tomorrow - I missed the "hint" he gave a while ago, so haven't the foggiest. And I don't think the ESP is working right now. I know he's been to Australia, so New Zealand would be an interesting stop as NZ is completely different than OZ. Likewise, I don't believe he's been to Alaska, so that's always a possibility.

Someone in our group mentioned Costa Rica as I don't believe he's visited Central America. And though he did visit Machu Picchu last year, I believe, there's more in South America to consider.

Hey, I guess we'll all be surprised tomorrow morning - and I like surprises as much as when my ESP kicks in and I feel something ahead of time. So well see!

hlphillips2 Feb 9th, 2004 07:44 AM

Heather is correct (your ESP is working overtime).
Last time we crammed so much into both Kenya and Tanzania expecting that we wouldn't return. Now knowing how much DH and I fell in love with the continent my goal is to spend ample time in each country or area rather than cramming a wider area over two weeks. Both places are absolutely on the list, and if we can combine a Capetown trip with a visit to friends that's probably the 2004 plan. I'd love to combine a trip to J'burg / KwaZula / Vic Falls (both sides), but with all of the stuff happening in Zimbabwe I think that may wait. At least Botswana is totally safe right now, and with Today's spotlight there might be some deals that pop up.

As for the Today show clues, Matt's clue on Friday was something about "it's free to get in, but it will cost a dollar or two to get out." I still have no idea how that applies to Okavango Delta (though I missed the first ten minutes). Tomorrow's clue is "Automatically people there are two stops from the park." I'm stumped. I agree with the South America thought, although I haven't the foggiest where they might go. Costa Rica is very popular right now so that might be an option.

Winnepeg Feb 9th, 2004 07:44 AM

Hey Sandi,

Never been to Africa. Usually head to Europe. I watched the Matt Laurer program with great interest. So much so, that I have already begun to inquire about help from all of you that know so much about Africa.

I will try very hard not to be annoying when asking questions. Don't want to seem simple, but I've never been on a tour in Africa. I need as much help as I can from people that can help me with recommendations.
Thanks!

sandi Feb 9th, 2004 12:39 PM

hlphillips2 -

>>Matt's clue on Friday was something about "it's free to get in, but it will cost a dollar or two to get out." I still have no idea how that applies to Okavango Delta (though I missed the first ten minutes)<<

The repeated the clue this morning and the refeence was that there is no Visa charge into Botswana; and the cost of a dollar or two to get "out" - referring to buying an old copy of Out of Africa.

>>Tomorrow's clue is "Automatically people there are two stops from the park." I'm stumped.<<

Haven't a clue, but "park" might not be what us Africaphiles think, rather "amusement" or "carpark" or "gardens/rainforest" - we'll see tomorrow!

I believe when people plan their first trip to Africa, regardless where, they hope and plan to get in as much as possible as they haven't an idea to return - it's their "trip of a lifetime." Until they've been, and know they have to return and start the process over again. "Where to next?"

Just look at Roccco, he's taken all of us around Africa in just the last three months, trying to figure out - will it be Tanzania? or Zambia? or Botswana? So with good planning and the funds, at minimum folks get back to Africa, every other year, or every year, and some even twice in a year (Jan Goss is heading back to Kenya).

It just might be a magnet pulling us home - but then that's a different subject altogether!