to take a guide in Morroco or not??

Dec 15th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

to take a guide in Morroco or not??

We will arrive in Casablanca on 19th Feb and leave Marrakech 1st March. We've been to Morocco before long ago and are now what we politely call mature travellers...

We'd like a few days hanging out in Essaouira (possibly towards the end) but also want to spend a few days the desert area east of Marrakech which we didn't have enough time for last time. Ourzazate, the Draa Valley, Erg Chebbi, Kasbah ait ben Haddou etc etc...

No camel riding for us anymore (last time I could hardly walk for a couple of days and I am older now), colourful kasbahs, great towns, good food, gentle walking - that's our cup of (mint) tea.

I've looked at some highly recommended tours and they are tempting (if pricey). I guess what we'd like is advice about whether to use a guide for three or four days or just hire a car and wing it.

I remember very annoying hustlers when we didn't have guides. Is it like this out in the desert?

Will we be able to find all the lovely places we'd like to visit on our own?

All advice welcome...
Dec 16th, 2015, 07:54 AM

We are coming a couple weeks after you and have arranged for a driver who speaks English but not a certified guide. We are also well worn travelers. We lived in Morocco in the early 60s for several years. Our trip with driver is less than if we were to book the same places and a four wheel drive.
Prices vary enormously from different agencies.
Dec 17th, 2015, 12:30 PM

It is better to do the same thing as cgeidl as hiring a driver with his car is very useful you will enjoy your time and benefit enormously from his knowledge about Morocco and stop wherever and whenever you like even at night to drive you to restaurants... Let me know your email and will reply with a registred local travel company in Marrakech they have very good prices for drivers and even good deals with accommodation also. Good travels

Search this Thread