To Selous, or Not Selous, that is the question...

Oct 13th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

To Selous, or Not Selous, that is the question...

Still working dilegently on a Tanzania trip intinerary - and the question arises again - add a Selous extension? We are also considering other extensions, but cannot afford to do them all (Mahale, Rwanda, or 6 days in Kenya)

But I have read many reviews online that said Selous was the best end to their TZ trip.

Here's the big dilemma - we will be traveling in January. I have asked this question before, but would love more advice. Yes, I know it is hot, but do the evenings cool down to the 70's? Was it bearable, and still an enjoyable experience for scenery? Was the boat safari and remoteness a nice balance to the rest of the northern parks experience? If we do the Selous, should we do it at the beginning? Or end of the trip?

thank you!
Oct 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Sounds like some great options, but do check that Mahale is open then. I think it closes for a few months because of the rains.
Oct 13th, 2006, 09:04 AM

I can't speak from first hand experience yet, but we're spending 3 nights in Selous at the end of our trip in December. Where else are you going? If Selous would be the most remote park on your itinerary, I think it's more fitting at the end rather than the beginning.
Oct 14th, 2006, 06:16 AM
aby

hi Local

Selous is indeed quite an experience.
Though you must be aware that the dense congregations of animals near the water, is during the dry season (June -Oct )
I haven't been there in January but temps should cool down...
Boating safaris are sure worth it (crocs, hippos, watching ellies from a different angle...)especially if you like to watch birds (not only rarities like Pel's Fishing Owl). But, on second thought, anyone coming to 'safari' Africa learns very quickly to enjoy the birdlife as well...
Remotedness - u can travel a whole day without meeting another car, so better do it after Ngorongoro (IMHO)
as Patty noted, write your itinerary & people can give their view on the order of parks etc'

Estimates r that 25-30% of Africa's Wild Dogs roam around this park. during the week before i came they had been spotted 4 times. during the week i've stayed at Selous i missed those magnificent predators

Have better luck

aby

PS It is my understanding that u'd like to watch animals and not hunt them. In Selous >%90 of the area is a hunting "reaserve"
Oct 14th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Patty,

We are doing the norther TZ cicuit for about 9 days, then looking into several extension options. I am the group researcher and planner, so I want to give all options, and let the group decide (4 to 10 of us)

I have asked for quotes from a couple operators for extensions to Mahale (they are open in January) and Katavi, Selous, Rwanda and Gorillas, and Kenya.

aby,

thanks for the great input, and no, will not be shooting anything with guns, just digital SLR's.

The longer I research, the harder it becomes to narrow down an itinerary! I just want to do it all.