Search

To Israel with gifts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Israel with gifts

My friend is going to visit her relatives in Israel in November.
What she should bring as gifts? Is there anything they specifically like from US?
I know my friend in Europe asked me for Bayers Aspirin...lol not biggie but useful.
Is there anything Israel short on? I've heard their clothes is too expensive.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM
africnow

Just about anything one can want is available in Israel, but yes things can be very expensive. Clothes if you know them well enough or books are always good.

If they have a favorite food not available here, maybe that. Once upon a time one couldn't get Graham Crackers here for instance, but now they are available if ridiculously expensive.

Since they are relatives perhaps it would be best to ask them what they want/need?

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

They wouldn't tell...too modest and only want to see her which makes her feel to bring something even more...
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:31 PM
africnow

Are they religious or secular?
Approx. how much does she want to spend?

If they are readers a gift certificate to amazon.uk (because the shipping is faster and cheaper than amazon.us) or to a clothing company that ships overseas might be good.

If suitable, high class jeans are *very* expensive here. Really good large bath towels are also exorbitantly priced.

No electric goods or computer parts. They are different here and not compatible.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Bath towels great! Jeans good idea, any particular popular most? There is no spending limit but she is not going to be broke buying presents. Thanks
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:31 AM
africnow

I would suggest either Wranglers or Levis as most "American" - despite the original source of Levis

They are also imported and not locally produced which makes them more expensive, so that would be 'special'.

But again - I would ask. A friend is coming to visit me from England. She asked and I am glad that she did!
I need a DEET based anit-mosquito product for my trip to Africa and it is unavailable here. Sooooo like the Bayers Aspirin, one can't know what people *really* want without asking...

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:50 AM

Africnow:
I, too, am going to visit relatives in Jerusalem next month. They are a very religious family with 8 children from 19 years to 4 years. I wanted to bring a little gift for each child but I have to be so careful about what to bring.

Also, I travel with only carry-on luggage, so the items have to be small and lightweight.

I was thinking for the girls I could bring pretty socks and inexpensive, cute wristwatches.

For the boys I was thinking about small, travel alarm clocks or small book lights that you can attach to a book.

But with these little electric items that run on batteries, I was wondering if the correct batteries are available in Israel and how expensive they are.

Also, I am INTRIGUED by your suggestion of amazon book gift certificates. At the amazon.uk website, are books available in Hebrew? I am wondering if there would be suitable books available for religious people. Also, with 8 kids to buy for, I am trying to stick to a budget. Even though the gift certs would be interesting, probably the shipping is expensive. I know this family is on a limited budget.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:00 AM
africnow

Hi suntravler,

I am not religious so this is a bit more difficult for me.

For the girls probably the socks should be at least knee length unless they are under 5 y.o. The watches would probably be a better idea - even for young boys, say 5-8 y.o. it would be a treat.

Yes, all forms of batteries are avaialble here but they can be expensive if one needs to buy many. The small book light is probably a good idea for the oldest boys.

I would imagine that clothing - of a suitable type with long sleeves would be very much appreciated. You have some inexpensive outlets there, yes? Perhaps some children's (long) skirts, blouses, long black trousers and such if you know their approximate sizes. For the youngest children even used clothing is appropriate.

For the younger boys and girls you might think in terms of tiny toy cars, animals or children's books from alibris (see below).

No, amazon doesn't have books in Hebrew.
For books in Hebrew (the site is in English)check here:
http://www.alibris.com/search/books/...ibles%20Hebrew
They have used books too.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Africnow:

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. It has been very helpful. Thank you for reminding me about the knee socks for the girls. I hadn't thought about the length situation.

There are several items I'd love to be able to bring them, but as I said, it's difficult with only carry-on luggage.

I think I will get the book lights for the boys and socks or watches for the girls.

Yes, we have lots of discount places here. So I will be doing a lot of searching and shopping in the coming weeks.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Ziana, this thread may be helpful

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34643830

An Israeli (not a Russian) family invited me to a Shabbat dinner, a great hit was canned red caviar. I got it in a kosher store, they also sell in Russian stores.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Faina...I know exactly what you are saying...my daughter was trying to tell me once that she saw orange round things and I kept saying 'oranges'? And she almost cried 'no!!!round orange thingies...'Then she said 'it is on a bread' and I got it!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:13 AM

I'm going next week and was requested to get those "new" sandels called "Crocs". I guess they are all the rage there and are expensive.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Oh, in Israel 50% wear those colored "sandals" with a back strap, but can be worn without, like slippers, obnoxiosly bright colors, they look like made of rubber or plastic, and my friend said very comfortable.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Please, post the link to see them if you have one lease. Are those like rubber version of Birks?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM

The answer about aspirin made me laugh. Last time I visited an Amercan friend who has lived a long time in Germany he wanted me to bring Tylenol as he said it was expensive there. The time before that he wanted cup cake papers and colored sprinkles as he said he could never find them there. This time, when I go next month, he wants Jiffy corn bread mix and canned boneless skinless salmon. Go figure!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Canned salmon request striked me as WOW! ALDI stores that's origin is from Germany sell that and for cheap. Maybe not in Germany...it IS funny.
Yeah, Bayers is 'COOLest' aspirin as they say it.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:09 PM

you can see here, hope it's clickable! but the color is not as bright on my computer as I saw on the Tel Aviv promenade.

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/p...tyleID=2890706
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:29 PM
bat

Here is the company's website.

www.crocs.com
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:18 PM

I'm taking 6 pairs of the silly things over to Israel, was told they are incredibly comfortable. $35 bucks in Canada each. Guess they sell for $60 US over there.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:01 PM
esm

I thought these sandals were for gardening! I can't believe they're the latest rage in Israel.

I am also looking for gift ideas and of course everyone says they don't want/need anything. So far, I've only had a request for roach poison!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -