Tired of ads that blink, fly, bounce???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind a little advertising on a web site, even this one. But I truly hate those animated ads that move, blink, flash, dance, bounce, etc. They are like a fly buzzing around my head. Sooooo, a few days ago I downloaded a little program "Adblock Plus". It allows you to selectively block ads. Works great with Firefox browser. But don't think it works with IE. After all, who do you think Microsoft values more, you or money???

And please don't tell me that such ad annoyances are necessary to support this or other sites. When was the last time you saw an animated ad in a newspaper or magazine? If advertisers want my money don't harass me for it!!!!

regards - tom
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 01:14 AM

Weird, I don't have any adblockers installed at all but haven't seen any moving ads on Fodors for a long time. I do remember them being here for a while... how odd.

I agree, I hate the intrusive ones, all they do is p*** me off!
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM

I hate those flying things too. I haven't been bothered by them in quite a while here.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM

Since you brought it up, how about the 3-second camera shots on TV and the exploding graphics. I can barely watch TV anymore.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM

Don't get me started on TV Lynn. Those pop-up ads that distract from the shows drive me nuts, and even Tivo can't erase them.
Before anyone gets irked by the off-topic, to keep this thread Africa based I'll say don't mind pop-up impala.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Oh boy, don't get me started - wait - I think I did it to myself with this thread!!!!

Yeah, those pop up adds promoting another TV show, what kind of aggravation will they come up with next?

And how about those station logos stuck in near the corner??? Huh, huh, huh??? A nice bright orange icon (e.g. History Channel) against an old historical B&W picture, really great. And did you see what NBC did at the Beijing Olympics closing ceremony? They had their multicolored logo fan in the right corner over the Olympic flame, the flame goes out and there's NBC big and bright!!!! You could not see the flame extinguish!!!

Off topic??? Yeah this whole thread is off forum topic, but hey, trip reports have been a bit slow coming in now. So Merry Christmas all and hope your New Year is happy and healthy!!!

regards - tom
ps - agree, pop-up impala are ok

Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM

I just read that CNN is going to stop the continuous scroll on the bottom of the screen.

I can't even watch regular TV commercials that move too fast and a lot of shows "whoosh" the camera too much. I have my eyes closed too much of the time and that defeats the purpose of WATCHING TV.

Oh yes, the pop-up impala. I believe the term is pronking. I remember when I first saw an pronking exhibition. Fascinating and humorous all at once.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:32 PM

Pronking? Are you allowed to say that on Fodor's?
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

"pronking" - oh my, does sound naughty doesn't it Lynn knows all the good words!!!!

Here's what wikipedia says about it-
Stotting (also pronking or pronging) is a gait of quadrupeds, particularly gazelles (e.g. Thomson's Gazelles), involving jumping high into the air by lifting all four feet off the ground simultaneously.

Gotta remember this for my next safari. along with- "a journey of giraffe" and "a crash of rhino".

Merry Christmas All - tom