Tipping practices at private game lodges???

Feb 15th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Rocco

Tipping practices at private game lodges???

I will be at the Matetsi Game Lodge (Zambezi/Vic Falls) for 3 nights and at Singita (Kruger National Park) for 2 nights next month (along with time in Joburg, Cape Town and the Cape Winelands). What is the appropriate tipping policy for exclusive private game lodges such as Matetsi and Singita??? Please advise.

Feb 16th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Lisa

When I was at Sabi Sabi a few years ago, I was told it was R50 per person per drive per day. I thought that was steep ( the exchange rate at the time was very different.) Nevertheless, I actually tipped more as our guide was incredible and took us on extra game drives. I tipped the room staff and waiters and laundry as well but I don't remember what the recommended amount was. At Londolozi, there was a different scale and tipping was spread out over the whole staff.

Feb 20th, 2002, 07:43 PM
sandy

Most lodges have a tipping policy of $5.00 per person per day for the guide, and they ask that you put $3.00 per person per day in teh common fund for the staff. There's usually a box somewhere near reception for the purpose.

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:16 AM
pam

I just got back from 2 weeks in SA, with stays at both Londolozi and Singita. My husband and I tipped R200 per day for the ranger and R100 per day for the tracker.

Pam

Mar 8th, 2002, 03:30 AM
cheers

We just came back from Singita, and tipped about R350/day to the ranger to share with the tracker. We were told by someone who goes quite a lot, that for foreigners, an appropriate tip would be R100/day (for me and the wife) for the ranger, who would share it with the tracker.

Search this Thread