Tipping on Participation Overland Safari

Feb 12th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Tipping on Participation Overland Safari

Hello all - Ken and I are finding this forum VERY useful!! He thinks I'm becoming obsessed but I say prepared!!

Anyway I'm sure there's a thread on this topic - but I can't find one.

We are going on a 41 day overland participation camping safari and are just wondering about tipping the guides?

The average group size is 16 - but can be up to 24 (we're hoping for the 16 but whatever!!) The group has to set up camp, cook, shop, clean up etc.....

We were just wondering if anyone had been on one or these overlanders and what the recommended tip would be?? Our travel agent doesn't really know and there is no information on the company's (acacia) website.

Any info would be helpful. We are also staying for 3 weeks and have located info on a $10 per person per day tip for guides on our other safaris.

Thanks again - and I LOVE this forums!! I am already planning our Amzon trip for next year.

Feb 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM

I would assume that you'll be getting a packet of information prior to departure that would include this info...see if that's the case. If not, it would be your agent's job to find out for you...make 'em earn that commission! What we tip for our safaris may be quite different for overlanding, given that you'll probably be participating in daily tasks. Tell us more about your trip. We don't often hear from "overlanders".
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

We are going for 2 months. Starting in Cape Town. We have one week before our Overland begins, and are going to do cage diving with sharks.

We do the overland for 41 days - through Namibia, SA, Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania, Malawi, Kenya.

After the overland we are flying to Ugnada for Gorilla Trekking then back to Nairobi for 6 day Masi Mara, Lake Nakuru safari. This time we are staying in lodges and tent camps.

We went with the participation overland mostly because of the price and our ability to see everything that we wanted to. Certainly my preference would be a catered safari - but my husband enjoys doing the camping set up, clothes line hanging etc... I really enjoy cooking especially for large amounts of people, and who doesn't like to shop!!??

We are quite excited and I am practically packed!! (using Lynda's packing list among others)

Anyway hope that answers some of your questions for the trip. We have most of our package and there is no tipping information in there at all!! Hopefully someone here will have some info.

Thanks all
Lori
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Wow! That sounds like a great trip. If your agent can't get you the info, I would suggest going to Acacia's website and using "contact" to e-mail them and ask. You might also post on Lonely Planet, as there may be more overlanders posting there.
Feb 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM

While in Victoria Falls, we met a few women from Australia on an overland trip and they loved it! Very different than the typical safari. Please write a trip report when you get back.
Have a great time and travel safe!
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:54 PM

Hi Pipflam,

in such a large group there is a good chance that one of the passengers will have travelled with Acacia before - if so, you could ask what happened on their previous trip with tipping.

Cheers,

Pol.