Tipping in South Africa

Sep 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Tipping in South Africa

Can fodorites please let me know what kind of tip is expected for bell captains and for service in restaurants in South Africa. Thanks.
Sep 19th, 2004, 02:27 PM
sandi

We tipped bellmen at $1/bag. While a service charge is included in restaurant bills, we always tipped a minimum 10% in cash direct to the waiter - of course, depending on quality of service and we had excellent service wherever we ate.

Sep 19th, 2004, 02:51 PM

I concur with Sandi about the levels of tipping when she speaks of the amount to tip for baggage or the avearge tip of 10%. Where I differ is as follows:

If the bill inludes service then no tip is required. NOT ALL restaurants include this service charge; as a matter of fact very few do.

10% is the going rate however for truly excellent service (it has to be outstanding) 15% would be a good tip.

The most important factor is that unlike the USA and some other countries when in SA you DO NOT have to tip and if the service is poor or in anyway unsatisfactory then please DO NOT TIP. So many visitors to SA make the assumption that tipping is the norm and ignore the last point that I have made.

The word TIP is derived from the phrase "To Insure Promptness" and in SA if you dont obtain this promptness and then dont tip your waiter or person doing the service he/she will frown however those around you, inclusive of the establishments management, would agree with your actions.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread