Tipping - daily or at end of trip?

Dec 17th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Tipping - daily or at end of trip?

Sorry for another tipping question, but...

My husband and I will be on a private safari and will have one drive/guide in Kenya and another driver/guide in Tanzania. First question - is there usually one driver and one guide, or is the guide also the driver?

Second question: I understand the $5-$15 per person per day estimate. Is it preferred that you tip them each day, or can we just give them the lump sum at the end?

Also - is the $5-$15 estimate for the driver/guide if they are the same person or does this cover both if they are two people? If two people, does the guide split his tips with the driver (kind of like how waitresses in the US split tips with bussers/bartenders)?

Thanks in advance for the help. I promise to post a trip report and some pictures when we return
Dec 17th, 2005, 07:56 PM

You should have one person who acts as your driver/guide. It's unlikely that you'll have a separate driver plus guide in Kenya or Tanzania.

You can tip your Kenyan driver/guide at the conclusion of your safari in Kenya. Likewise you would tip your Tanzanian driver/guide at the conclusion of your Tanzania safari. No need to tip daily. Hope this helps.
Dec 18th, 2005, 04:49 AM

The only time I have tipped daily is when there was a question about whether my guide would be with me again the next day.

But I read somewhere in this forum about tipping well after the first day to show your appreciation and indicate your generosity if good service continues. Maybe a bit of a bribe but if the final tip is similar to the daily rate of the first tip (assuming the good service continues), it might be a good practice.

Search this Thread