Search

acceptable dress in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 07:16 AM
wendaris

acceptable dress in Egypt

I will be traveling to Egypt in 2 weeks and am stuck as to what is appropriate to wear in an Islamic country and what is not. I want to wear shorts and a sleveless top or sleveless sundress with sandles and have been told to only wear capri pants and cap-sleeved shirts? With temps in the 100+ degrees, could I wear the summer stuff at the pyramids and on the cruise down the nile and save the pants and capped shirts for the cities???? How bland should I keep the colours? AND is it necessary to get dressed up at night or will slacks and a blazer work?? Anyone with first hand knowledge that could respond....would be greatly! appreciated!! Thanks!

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Ursula

Wendaris: I have not travelled in Egypt(yet), but in a lot of other different islamic countries. Please do not wear shorts and sleeveless sunddresses. Wear light and loose cotton or linen. Take a scarve which will serve you to cover your head when requested. Take socks. You might use them when entering into a mosque. You will feel more comfortable in your socks that with naked feet. Keep your shorts and sleveless tops for the hotel or the cruise, but it is definitely not appropriate to wear such clothes in islamic countries. With comfortable clothes (no synthetics) you will feel as comfortable, even with small sleeves. It is really very offensive to these people. This also goes for gentlemen in shorts, just to mention it. <BR>Have a very nice trip to Egypt!

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Patricia

Leave the shorts and sleeveless tops/dresses on the ship. You will see some out and about, but they don't like it and it doesn't look good. Shoulders should be covered. These are their traditions and tourists should respect them, thus showing respect for the natives of the country. You can wear what you want on the cruise, as long as you stay on the ship. At the pyramids and temples you should wear respectful dress. As I said, you will see others dressed inappropriately, but they will not be treated with the respect of one who is properly dressed. <BR> Slacks and blazer are fine for evening or anytime, although at the time you are going I don't know how often you'll be able to stand a blazer. I was there in November. Perfect weather. Never wore my jacket, even at night. Maybe a sweater once or twice. <BR> <BR>You can wear any color you want. And a cap sleeve isn't really any hotter than no sleeve. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 03:10 PM
gail

Just returned from Egypt. I am in agreement with most of above posts. Never had a need to cover my head, though. While some tourists wore shorts, I never saw anyone with tank top or sun dress of Nile cruiser. This is not an issue of city-vs-country dress, but one of respect for the modesty of the culture. Colors are not important. I wore either long, loose pants or capri pants. Keep the tops non-revealing as well. (Just not real tight). The sun is very hot - no amount of sunblock is going to protect your shoulders/neck in smaller tops. Bring a hat - wide brimmed for the sun. Footwear doesn't really matter as long as it is comfortable for walking. Sidewalks/roads are more roughly paved and uneven. Have a great time - we did.

Old May 29th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Haz

Visited in July, 2000, wore tan capri pants with cotton t-shirts with cap sleeves everwhere, no problem, very comfortable. Don't take a lot of clothes to lug, used only white, black and tan,took too much and did not use, the new easy spirit shoes like tennis were great, or reboks with socks, sandals for ship and hotel in evenings.great!!!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Karten

I would agree with the previous postings...don't wear sleeveless tops or shorter shorts. I wore longer, knee-length shorts, capris and loose pants. Broomstick skirts are great!!! They pack easily, are very cool in the hot weather, inexpensive to purchase and can be used for daytime or nightime. Other longer skits, like wrap skirts, are great, too. Keep the sundress to the cruise. I didn't worry too much about colors. Have a great trip!!!

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 06:38 PM
wagih

Hi every one here i do not accept the idea of being afread from wearing shorts or slevless or sun clothes here in egypt there is no any problem by any way the people(the Egyptians ) wearing the same now here without any problem but normaly we like the long dresses to protact our skin from the sun. wagih

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:08 AM
Ursula

Topping for Theresa.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:03 PM
LEANNA

I think dear Wagih loves to see all the pretty ladies in shorts!!!! DONT LISTEN TO HIM!! He is the wolf in sheeps clothing. All of this advice is perfect and sooooo correct.....obey, pack and go....have a wonderful time. Its a vacation like no other!!!!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:48 AM
topper

topping

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:24 PM
Dina

I have some photos and suggestions for tourist dress "Do's and Don'ts" on www.costumegoddess.com/cairo_msq.htm

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved Egypt. Having said that, I have never been more harrassed than anywhere else in my fairly extensive travels (including many other Islamic countries). Do not wear shorts or sleeveless shirts or you are asking for it. Trust me.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:02 AM
sandi

Henrietta -
Shorts and sleeveless shirts are fine while you're on your Nile cruise boat, but not for outings on land or in Cairo.

You should have checked this board before your trip as this subject has been discussed on many threads these past few months.