Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tipping & luggage weights (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tipping-and-luggage-weights-95608/)

Jan Dec 4th, 2000 03:16 PM

Tipping & luggage weights

Amleaving on a Kenya safari on 1-16. Have planned this one to be able to focus on the marvelous elephants of Kenya who are in dire straits. Cynthia Moss noted on the internet recently that the Masaai have moved all their cattle into Amboseli due to the severe drought and have been spearing and killing many of the elephants. Going to Amboseli, Tsavo East and Shimba Hills. Will have a car with driver/guide the whole time. Am not going with a group. What does one tip your guide? What does one tip maids and waiters in Kenya. I want to be fair to all. <BR> <BR>Did you exchange American money for Kenyan shillings or just use dollars? <BR> <BR>Was everyone able to pack under the 40 pound limit? Did anyone get charged for overweight luggage. If so, how much? <BR> <BR>Any helpful hints would be most appreciated. <BR> <BR>Jan

Louise Dec 4th, 2000 05:26 PM

Jan - you can do it (that is, keep under 40 pounds). We were allowed only 26 pounds when we went to Botswana including camera equipment. And, my bird identification book weighed in at 2 pounds. I packed and unpacked so many times to get it right.

Nancy Dec 12th, 2000 05:27 PM

Just went to Kenya 2 weeks in October on tour and it was great. Went to Amboseli, Samburu, Lakes Navaisha & Nakuru, and Masai Mara. Never heard or saw anything about the Masai killing elephants. The really endangered are the rhinos (saw one black rhino in the Mara and I understand they're making a concerted effort to save them in Tsavo, about 300 there). We tipped our main guide $5.00/day and our driver/guide $3.00/day which was recommended by our tour company, Abercrombie and Kent.

jo Dec 22nd, 2000 09:42 AM

I went to kenya in june and it was the greatest trip ive ever taken. i want to go back as soon as possible. I tipped what our compnay said to the drivers and guide and tipped generously to the maids. I hope elephants arent being <BR>killed. where did you hear this? as far as i was told the poachers have pretty much disapperaed in kenya due to rovoing soldiers with guns, who we saw who willshoot to kill if they catch them.

jo Dec 22nd, 2000 09:46 AM

Oh the important thing i forgot to saywas that although we stayed in graet places and went thru a reputable tour company we had a terrible time at many places exchanging money for kenyan. they <BR>just had none or little. so once in a great while our drivers stopped at a <BR>bank for us in a town. but i would say get some ahead of time if thats even <BR>possible or charge everything you can . stores will usually take dollors or charges and beleive me tho i am no <BR>much of a shopper or a bargainer i got a lot of neat stuff .

Jan Dec 25th, 2000 05:23 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies. I really appreciate them. <BR> <BR>I read about the Maasai spearing the elephants on Save The Elephants.org/ <BR>/news.htm. Cynthia Moss, who has been the primary elephants researcher in Amboseli for about 25 years reported it and is asking for help with funding to get her vehicle fixed so she and the game wardens can get out in the field. One of the elephants had been speared 13 times. I can only hope that this will stop. With matriarchs being killed and injured it will effect whole herds of elephants that to date have been very trusting of humans in Amboseli. Please all keep your fingers crossed that the spearing will cease. Three more weeks and I'll be there. Will post any further info. I have when I get back. <BR> <BR>Thanks again folks. <BR> <BR>Jan