Timing for Africa visit


Jul 29th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 51
Timing for Africa visit

We want to see the gorillas in Rwanda and combine that with an OAT Ultimate Africa trip that goes to Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia. We want to go in spring 2017. Looking at the weather and especially the precipitation, I'm thinking we should go to Rwanda first in Mid Feb ( big rains start in March?) and then do the OAT trip. Does this sound right? We will need to find a travel company to set up the Rwanda portion of the trip. Does anyone have a recommendation? Is it better to get someone from the U.S. Or Africa to do this? Any help anyone can give us will be much appreciated!
pegtrav is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 29th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,472
I just booked Rwanda for Feb 2017, and chose Feb due to it not being big rains yet. I booked with Treks2Rwanda. I went with them to Tanzania (as Access2Tanzania) on my first safari and was very pleased, so I was happy to see they branched out into Rwanda too. I got quote from many of the "Big Names" in safari and Treks2Rwanda came in with the most convenient and best itinerary for us. Karen Stupic is who I dealt with both times. She's based out of Michigan but they employ their own guides (rather than subcontract out) and own their own vehicles on the ground in both TZ and Rwanda. Their local manager did all the booking for her and we were signed, sealed and delivered within 48 hours of deciding on the itinerary. One of my safari friends on another forum just went with them in February and his experience looks incredible, if his photos are anything to go by!
amyb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Jul 29th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 191
I went gorilla trekking in Rwanda starting February 19 of this year, and we had some rain, but were lucky enough that it never rained while we were out on our treks. However, others from the lodge had rain during their gorilla visits that went higher up in the mountains. The lodge told us the that three weeks before that had been rain free, so earlier in February sounds like it might be better.

I got quotes from two or three operators, but no one beat booking with the lodge operator directly, so that's what we did. We used Governor's Safaris, who operates Sabyinyo Silverback lodge. They arranged all, from Kigali hotel to transport, and permits, and it was great.
traveler318 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:48 PM.