Time to buy luggage for safari

Mar 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Time to buy luggage for safari

We have started our search for the most light weight and practical duffles. Would appreciate suggestions on brands/sizes etc.
We will be taking internal flights with the typical weight restrictions. Thanks for your input
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:45 PM

I have the Eagle Creek medium size duffel. Has held up through 3 trips to Africa and holds all I need. Others take the larger size, but the medium is fine for me.
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:25 AM

I assume from your screen name you're Canadian. Land's End ships to Canada and has some good duffles. The 29 inch works well. You can get by with the next smaller size, but I like to have the extra room in case I aquire something while travelling.
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Check out Mountain Equipment Coop. You can shop online or in store depending on where you are in Canada. They have a great set of duffels that come in four sizes, the large being the typical size most people seem to get for safaris. It's what I bought for myself and family for $30CDN each.
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions! I will check them all.
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM

A few years ago we read an article that recommended bright yellow duffels with our initials embroidered in black. This has proven a wonderful way of keeping track of our duffels on runways (african airstrips), lodges and camps. It is easy to spot your duffels making their way to your tent or room and to be reasonably certain they are "your" bags. The initials help keep others from mistaking your bag (should they also have read the same article suggesting yellow duffels). Cabelas sells some nice ones for reasonable price.
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Do most get the duffels with or without wheels? My future brother-in-law says get one with wheels and my future mother-in-law, says they are not needed, the bags don't weigh that much and the wheels can get in the way.
Thanks,
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestion of bright yellow with initials for quick spotting of bags.
I will definitely choose that colour combo! I checked with Serah at E & S
and we have no size restriction - just weight, so we are going shopping!
Mar 7th, 2007, 05:33 AM
sandi

Some travel with duffle w/wheels, even some of the outfitters provide these for their clients. However, since your bags are squished into the small luggage hold beneath these small plans, you may find the bag is damaged. Example: broken wheels, handles, etc. It then has no further use for you.

Considering that you don't have to carry your bag anywhere once in Africa, the convenience of wheels isn't necessary. At airports before departure, transiting through airports, on arrival or at departure, there are luggage carts available - often for no charge. So, no need to carry bags while traveling.

Soft duffles can also be easily folded (wrap with a large rubberband) and hidden away somewhere once at home; storage space is minimal.

Sizes between 26" to 30" work best for most people.

Mar 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM

Hi!

I recently found out that one of the posters on this board has some great information on luggage and packing on his website.

http://www.timelessafrica.com/index.cfm?L1=planLuggage

Me and my sister are planning to get the L.L. Bean Adventure Duffles. We're getting the custom ones so we definitely won't lose them!

Moira
Mar 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM

For my black soft duffel bag, to make it stand out, I'm going to stencil large white lion paw prints on both ends. Coool
regards - tom
Mar 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Way cool, Tom!

I always use my Rick Steves' Back Door bag. It's lightweight, holds everything I need on safari, and is expandable for souvenirs. It can be worn as a backpack or carried on one's shoulder. It fits well into those small "puddle jumper" planes.

AAA here in Oregon carries the bag. There is also a rolling version, but it weighs more. You can also get them online: www.ricksteves.com.
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:21 PM

we also used the eddie bauer duffles, which they embroider. They held up on our safari, and we use them constantly now for travelling. The wheels help alot when travelling through airports between flights. They held a ton.