Time difference?

May 6th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Time difference?

What is the time difference between the Eastern US and South Africa? Does anyone know? Is it +7 hours?
Thanks!
Karen
May 6th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Because the U.S. is now on Summer Time, it is 6 hours at present compared with EST. Otherwise it would be 7. (S.A. doesn't have "daylight saving".)
May 6th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Arthur! I fly out tomorrow - will be in Jo-burg Sunday evening!
Karen
May 6th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Enjoy! Despite your demanding schedule. Yes, I read that other (infamous?) thread.
May 6th, 2005, 06:27 AM

www.timeanddate.com is a great site for figuring out what time it is in a different part of the world. Just put in where you are and where you are going and it will tell you.
May 6th, 2005, 06:36 AM

After a brief spell that seemed to hint at the onset of Winter, it's been pretty balmy in Jo'burg for the past few days. Forecast high was I think 23c for today and it's been sunny and warm with an almost cloudless sky. And the forecast much the same for the next five days, temps in the range 5-22c.

Cape Town has been rainy I think, but no more rain forecast there for the next five days either. Temp range 11-27 over that period.
May 6th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Arthur! And thanks, jcasale for that website - I've added it to my favorites. Now... if I can just figure out how to convert C temperatures to F. It's something like double it and add 30 - for a rough approximation. I've checked some weather sites and from what I can tell it looks like cool nights (warm jacket needed) and warm days (not hot - maybe a long-sleeved shirt or lightweight sweater). I'm trying to pack so I can layer.
May 6th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Layering would seem to be the key given what I have seen for temps. I figure a t-shirt under a chamois shirt that I can take off and I have some zip-off pants in case i get lucky and hit a really balmy streak! I agree with you on the celsius temps. Here's another website to add to your favorites (I just found it)
www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm
Just put in the temp you want to convert and it will do it for you. Fpr example, I was able to find out that 23 is 73.4 degrees farenheit. Wouldn't it be nice if the whole world used the same measures? Too much to ask? Probably. Oh well. Gives travel some adventure and mystery!
May 6th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Hey - great website - thanks. And the double it and add 30 evidently works! (Actually, I think it works some of the time but other times is somewhat off, depending on the starting temperature - but it gives a rough estimate at least.)

Search this Thread