Time Allowance Abu Simbel

Jul 27th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Time Allowance Abu Simbel

I just looked at the flight schedule from Aswan to Abu Simbel, How much time is sufficient to see Abu Simbel? It looks like the last flight is at 1:30pm? Seems everyone on the morning flights would be returning on that flight? Do I need advance reservations? Has anyone done this on their own?
Thanks!
Jul 27th, 2004, 11:27 AM
sandi

I would have Gate1 book this for you. They have a separate price that includes your transfers, airfare, touring while there and return air to wherever. When it's booked thru a tour operator, your rep in Egypt will have priority at the airport versus standalone passengers. So check with them their price - most run about $300 from Cairo, but not sure what it would be from Aswan to AbuSimbel and then returning to CAI?

Jul 28th, 2004, 12:23 AM

An alternative you could consider is doing Aswan - Abu Simbel - Aswan by road. There are daily departures from Aswan - the bus is a 9 seater minivan which is quite comfortable, and the road is good. Takes about 4 hours. The buses leave very early (5 AM or 6 AM if I remember right) to avoid the fierce heat. You get into Abu Simbel by 10 - 11 AM; the buses depart around 3 PM - the heat is bad for an hour or two and then gets better.

We hadn't booked the bus upfront - we just asked around on reaching Aswan and confirmed the evening before departure.

Now, normally 8 hrs by road, partly in the Egyptian heat is not recommended - the only reason I'm doing so is because of the fabulous Nubian desert landscape. That road trip remains in memory for long...And of course, it costs much less.

To see Abu Simbel, you need max 3-4 hours.
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:02 AM

We flew to Abu Simbel and stayed for the evening "Light Show" which our tour operator recommended; of course, we had to spend the night. We live in Egypt and know lots of people who have gone to Abu Simbel for a "morning only" visit - and frankly, that is plenty of time. If you really linger, "reading" the walls, etc., you can kill two or three hours. The temples are awesome, but there is NOTHING else to do besides explore that immediate area.

Search this Thread