Timbavati Allowing Rhino Hunting

Feb 28th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Timbavati Allowing Rhino Hunting

This is the first I have heard of this happening in Timbavati and I am shocked that it can be allowed in a park that shares unfenced borders with Kruger. Maybe many of you already know this but for people thinking of visiting Timbavati, I wanted to put this out there.

http://blog.africageographic.com/afr...ino-challenge/
Feb 28th, 2013, 09:58 AM
aby

SHAME !!
Feb 28th, 2013, 07:28 PM

I will spend my money on this and avoid Timbavati in the future:

http://www.zululandrhinoreserve.co.z...ment-programme

I think it's a brilliant way to raise money. And I have no idea if they just keep darting the same animals over and over. I don't think I care, either. ZRR just closed down their hunting camp and added lions to be a big five reserve. (They do cull, and all carcasses are used for feeding the poor. Not rhinos).

The animals in Timbavati belong to Kruger, not the private reserves (I understand they all cull animals that become overpopulated, but rhino are not overpopulated). The extra conservation fees paid to visit Kruger in the past few years are a rip-off if these two hunts are allowed to go forward.

Did Botswana recently shut down all hunting camps? Kind of proves the point that photo safaris can be profitable - even at very low density. Timbavati is not low density.
Mar 4th, 2013, 04:14 AM

This is unbelievable! They are already poaching rhino in the Timbavati and now this! Disgraceful!

Did not read the above Christabir, but I have been to one place that darts their black rhino and cuts a section of the ear, maybe once a year, so that they have a good record of all the black rhino on their reserve and gather information on each rhino when they are darting each year (think this is done yearly).

Kind regards

Kaye

Search this Thread