Tick tock, tick tock.............

Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:51 PM
LizFrazier

Tick tock, tick tock.............

To coin a phrase from Rocco last year when he simply wouldn't leave and kept posting his goodbyes , I just have 11 more days until I see the most magnificent flood in 30 years. Oh--My--God!!! Finally it is almost here. I will really be on my way and shortly will be getting off that long flight in J'Burg. Then it will be just HOURS until I am in Botswana and from then on for 7 nights, time will literally stand still, because I will be on the Delta.
Rocco, I think I finally understand your comment about if the ultra light dumps you in with the hippos, what a way to go. At least it will be in Botswana.
Okay, Okay! No one else feels this thrill, but I do and I shall rejoice in it. Ahhhhhh!

P.S. Clematis-Oh how I wish you and hubby were going with us. Next time! Just to have someone to hug and jump up and down with would be wonderful!
Okay, back to normal for awhile! But I promise you will hear from me again on this subject.

Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:15 PM

I'm thrilled for you, Liz, I really am. I hope this is the best trip yet for you. I can share in your enthusiasm and I relish in your joy! Hooray!!! Yippee!!! Let's see, Kavey will be returning just about the time you are leaving, so I will have some reading of reports to keep my African dream alive for a while! Bon Voyage, Liz! And if you see a lion amidst your travels, well, you know the rest ... Yeah, I know, I am probably pushing it, but I can't help it!
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:53 PM

Bon voyage Liz. Have a great journey and may you have many new wonderful experiences. I look forward to your trip report with great anticipation.

Fly well and in the greatest of peace.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:14 PM

Liz,

I know EXACTLY how you feel!

I thought I was having Deja Vu all over again when I read the title of that post, and that perhaps I was having an out of body experience and was going to click on my own thread for the very first time.

You will have to share every detail about your trip upon your return! Who knows, perhaps Ker & Downey and luxury mobile tent camping is the way to go over Kwando for next year, although I am so itchy for Botswana that I am nearly ready to give a deposit NOW for June, 2005.

Only by the grace of Luxury Link and God is such a bargain trip available to Botswana. I may just want to save my frequent flier miles for another time and take advantage of such a trip before it disappears.

Liz, so far, how has Luxury Link been to deal with? I have only had positive experiences with Luxury Link, and despite others thinking that they are expensive, I know that through selective screening that some unbeatable deals are available.

Hope you have a great trip although I am sure we will cross paths a dozen more times before you finally leave. Your burning will only grow greater as the departure date nears!
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:22 PM

Oh Liz, me too! You must jump up and down for me. Soon you will be there, smelling the sweet clean scent of the bush and watching a giraffe pass across the sunset while you have your sundowner break. Every morning you'll wake up wondering what wonderful animals will I see today.

Soon.
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:29 AM
LizFrazier

My oh my! How very wonderful to read such nice messages from people I've grown to call friends.

Susan- You name it. You want a lion? I'll give you a lion. However you may have read about our last trip when the BEST lion ended up at a hunter's feet. Perhaps it would be best to name the oldest and weakest for you to assure you don't end up so dreadfully. Just tell me and I'll do it. (Why do I treat you so dreadfully?) You are so much more deserving than that. Name something else, its yours for the asking. Only as pertains to naming an animal after you though. tee hee

Selwyn- How very kind of you to take time out of your schedule to wish me a nice jouney. Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. I shall again post too many pictures I suppose. Why do we all think that our pictures are the ones every one wants to see? Oh well, we do and it makes us happy. So I shall remember all the details too to relay back.

Rocco- I wondered how you would see the title of this thread. Very effective, eh?
Luxury Link couldn't have been easier to deal with. Very user friendly and when the auction was over, I was sitting at the computer and my husband was across the desk from me. I was in such anxiety as I knew this would be our only chance to go this year with all we have going on in our lives. Sure enough, at exactly 1 minute after the auction closed, I heard "You've got mail"! I just knew we were the winners. I say winners, because it was just like winning the lottery.
I will take pictures of our tents, etc. so others can compare to see if it is what they would like. It actually is almost the same as Governor's Camp in Kenya. Only much, much smaller. Very small camps, maybe 8 tents. They offer good specials for this trip but we still got it cheaper than they offered it. As far as I know they hadn't used Luxury Link before. They do post on e-gnu and their own website though.

You folks are the BEST! Liz

Apr 4th, 2004, 09:27 AM

I want to be in Botswana too! Wish you good mokoroing.
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:28 AM
LizFrazier

King-
I'm thinking you are the same King from last summer. I don't happen to recall any posts from you about the Southern part of Africa. I guess it was because I was preparing to go to Kenya. Have you also taken trips to Botswana, etc? If so, what are some of your favorite camps there?
As an aside, last year I envisioned you as we sometimes do about posters, as a gentleman of around 60, with a well manicured beard who travelled about 20 or 30 times to East Africa. Now if you are the same person, and I just can't see that you are, I imagine you as a guy of around 25 or 30-something who has been to Africa maybe 3 or 4 times. Am I even close? (On either impression?)
Thanks for the wishes for good mokoroing. Liz

Apr 4th, 2004, 01:36 PM
sandi

Liz - You're on the road again, or rather "that big silver bullet in the sky" - and what a deal you got - just great. I can only imagine the colors with so much rain these past months. I know this will be another amazing trip and know that we'll all be imagining you floating along in your mokoro. Travel safe!

Apr 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM
LizFrazier

Thanks Sandi- Perhaps I will be able to capture that beautiful green I have never witnessed in Botswana to date. I've always wanted to see it during the green season, so I'll let you folks know how it is temperature wise and animal wise during this time. I appreciate you taking the time to express your good thoughts to me and I'll be thinking of all of you when I touch that lily pad as I go gliding silently by. (That is before the hippo who is following us, gets us.)

Apr 4th, 2004, 04:18 PM

A lion, please. Any lion. Old, young, fat, thin .. I don't care. Oh, and one other thing - boy am I getting awfully demanding or what? - raise one for me while there. As far as that, I am not picky ... wine, beer, champagne, Coke, whatever ...
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM
LizFrazier

Susan-
How about Amarula? I definately shall. If you are dead set about a lion, a lion it will be. I assume you want a female lion? They are so hard to tell apart, but it is a safer bet. On second thought, I will raise my glass while we are on our sundowner break. Isn't that just the most nostalgic time? Maybe as a giraffe passes past the image of the setting sun. Liz

Apr 4th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Liz

Have a great trip!

Oh how I wish I could go again right now!

On my most recent safari I spent eighteen days in the Sabi Sands and still it wasn't enough!.Next time I am going for a month!

Don't you feel like you can spend your whole life in the bush?

Anyway,enjoy your trip,can't wait for your trip report.
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:13 AM

Liz

The same one, half a century old and another half to go.

Yes have been to Botswana, 3 times in the last 8 years or so. Favourite camps were Duba and Xigera but the best guiding was at Kwando camps. For mokoros Xigera was better than Kwara while walks at Duba were brilliant. Best game viewing was at Duba,followed by Lagoon. King's pool and Xigera had the best setting and little vumbura the best boat rides.

I haven't been to Botswana lately so my information would be a bit out of date. Camps have changed so much since and it has become an expensive destination so I have stuck to East Africa. But I hope to visit Botswana again soon and do a mobile safari and also try out Zambia for the first time perhaps next year.
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:29 AM

Thank you, Liz, and, yes, preferably a female. Ah, the taste of Amarula ...I'll drink to that!
Apr 5th, 2004, 04:05 AM
LizFrazier

King- Thanks. I feel the same way about trying Zambia. E-gnu on their specials page, posts Tongabezi and Sausage Tree Camp about in November for the African summer months (rainy). I'm hoping to get there that way next year. They also generally list Robin Pope specials. That's also how we hope to see Chief's Camp in Botswana. Not any Wilderness Group camps marked down though.
I was just so disappointed with Kenya after being away 10 years, I won't ever go back there. The animals just are mostly gone from the Mara. I hate to say it but even the migration fell far short. When I saw it on the Serengeti in 1989, the plains were just black with them. Last year they said only a few hundred thousand of them crossed over to Kenya. Either that or the truth is, like every other animal there, the numbers are dwindling dramatically.
So far I think Botswana is better, but with the lack of open plains, the animals are harder to see in great numbers. Liz

Apr 5th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Oh, Liz, I feel exactly the same! My feeling is, if I get eaten by a rhino or a hippo, what a way to go!

Have a wonderful, wonderful time, and tell us ALL about it when you get back.

(My tick tock doesn't start for six more weeks!)
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:39 AM
LizFrazier

Safarinut-
How did you sneak your post in there? I didn't even see it yesterday. Sorry. Thanks for the kind words. I'd LOVE 18 days in the Sabi Sands. I've not been there yet.
I've asked my husband if we couldn't just spend 2 or 3 months each year in Southern Africa. Well, not for him, but we are going to move to Utah where we will be close to some beautiful scenery around Zion National Park and St. George. We hike a lot and fell in love with Zion and decided to move closer than we were.
When I first went to Kenya, I tried to move there, but I won't go into the details as I've worn out my welcome here by talking endlessly about it whenever I get a chance.
Then by the time I went to Botswana, I really was too old to think in terms of living in a place without health care, etc as we have here. Medicare isn't good outside of the U.S.
I do wonder about the Europeans I've run across who have "run away" from jobs, etc. without the thought of how they will ever be able to retire. No health care, once you can't work its over for you in Africa, I would imagine. So I love to dream about it, but not nearly as much as I used to.
I often wish my parents had been more daring and moved to someplace like Africa before they had children. Could you imagine being raised there? WOW!!!
We're on the same page though on that one. Liz

Apr 5th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Liz:

I was born and raised in RSA in Nelspruit only 40 minutes from the KNP,lived there for 28 years before leaving for North America.

We were introduced to wildlife at a very young age,and spent numerous weekends in the park as youngsters.

As I became older my love for African wildlife has just increased. It is so far away now ,not only a 40 minute drive anymore!

Well,I shouldn't complain too much as our new home has provided other great opportunities.

Africa will forever have a place deep in my hart and enjoy every minute you get to spend there.

Hamba kahle Liz.[Goodbye/Go well][Zulu]

Nkosi sikelel' iAfrika[Xhosa]
[May God bless Africa]
Apr 5th, 2004, 06:10 PM
LizFrazier

Bless you Safarinut-
What a wonderful post. What an amazing life you've had. I'm just at a loss for words right now. What a wonderful background you have. I can't think of a better start for one's life. Liz

Search this Thread