Three possible itineraries....

Feb 5th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Three possible itineraries....

Well, although I am still very eager to see Tanzania, the limited amount of flights to Kiliminjaro is really putting a damper on things. Also, I really dislike having to go through Nairobi for most of the possible flights. But, I haven't completely ruled out Tanzania yet, but I have added a couple other possible options, as stated to potential agents:

Hello,

I am interested in a quotation for a 9 night safari with Kwando, split up between three camps. I would like to start at Kwara Okavango Delta for three nights, followed by Kwando Lagoon for four nights and ending with Songwe Village in Victoria Falls for two nights. This package is for two adults sharing. Please include ground/air transfers and a flight from JNB-Maun and Livingstone-JNB. I will be arriving in JNB on the morning of June 10th (I will arrive in JNB at 9:40AM) and wish to proceed directly to Maun and the Okavango Delta. My international flight out of Johannesburg on the 19th will depart at 8PM, so I would like to arrive in JNB by 5:30PM at the latest.

Alternately, I am interested in a 9 night Wilderness Safari package in Zimbabwe. I would like two nights at the River Club, three nights at Makalolo Plains and four nights at Chikwenya. I would be flying into Livingstone from JNB on June 10th, requiring a ground transfer to The River Club. I would need transfers between lodges and at the end would require a flight from Chikwenya back to Livingstone so I could connect to a flight back to JNB, arriving in JNB by 5:30PM at the latest. My international flight out of Johannesburg on the 19th will depart at 8PM.

Lastly, I am open to suggestions on any other suggested itineraries for my nine night stay. I have already been to South Luangwa in Zambia and the Sabi/Sand in South Africa and really do not have enough time to spend in South Africa this year.

I am accustomed to getting pretty competitive pricing so please provide me with your best prices as I will most likely go with the lowest price.

Thank you very much and I look forward to receiving your price quotation.

--------------------------------------------

Note: While I would love to stay at Mombo, it is really not worth it for me to spend so much per night for lodging. I have heard very good things about Kwando and the prices seem very reasonable, in the $600 USD per night per room range, I believe. If I choose to stay at the Mombo's and Singita's of the world, there is no way that I would be able to make an annual trek to Africa. I have every bit as fond memories from simple places like Kafunta in South Luangwa for $400 USD per night as I do of Singita. Admittedly, Singita's accomodations and food were in a league of its own, but in the end, it is the wildlife experiences that are the most treasured memories.
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Just got a quote back from Kwando and it is about $3,750 pp for a 9 night safari, or 50% higher than Tanzania would be for an 8 night tour.

Unless Wilderness Safari's really comes up with something great, I can do the following itinerary:

6/10 - 5:15PM, Rome-London. 8:35PM, London-Nairobi.

6/11 - Arrive Nairobi at 7:25AM. 10:30, Nairobi-Kiliminjaro. 11:30 Arrival in Kiliminjaro. Transfer to Kikoti. 4PM Game Drive. 9PM Game Drive.

6/12 - Morning, Afternoon and Night Game Drives.

6/13 - Ngorongoro Crater, Serena Lodge. 4PM crater drive.

6/14 - Full Day Crater Drive with picnic lunch inside crater.

6/15 - Transfer to Kirawira in Western Serengeti with Olduvai Gorge excursion en route and lunch at Serengeti Serena en route. Game drive en route.

6/16 - Morning and afternoon game drive in Serengeti.

6/17 - Morning and afternoon game drive in Serengeti.

6/18 - Morning and afternoon game drive in Serengeti or maybe a Lake Victoria excursion?

6/19 - 10:40AM Flight from Grumeti to Arusha, arriving at 12:20PM. With seven hours to spare before my 7:40PM flight to Nairobi, perhaps I would have time for a Lake Manyara excursion/game drive??? 7:40PM, depart to Nairobi. 10:45PM, depart Nairobi-London.

6/20 - May take a day here in London rather than have a 40 hour return home.

6/21 - London - LAX. Same Day Arrival.

The cost of the Tanzania ground package (including an air transfer from Grumeti to Kiliminjaro) is down to $2,450 pp and the air from Europe-Nairobi-Kiliminjaro-Europe is about $1,050 pp, making the whole Tanzania add-on about $7,000 USD.

I think with the final night in London that this could be an enjoyable trip, although I realize that it is a lot, especially after 12 nights of "touring" Italy. Then again, I would go crazy if I was ever parked on an island for a week or two.

And that's that.

Search this Thread