Three nights in J'burg, any suggestion?

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three nights in J'burg, any suggestion?

Getting very close to the "trip of a lifetime". Everything is booked, I still have to shop for some "safari" clothes, etc..but,

The reason for this post is just one thing. Three nights in J'burg(Sandton). What are the must dos?????

I will be coming back from safaris, so that's not very important, just looking for J'burg info.

Thanks
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 03:15 PM

Tours of Soweto, Gold Reef City, and Pretoria. Soweto could be half a day. Gold Reef City could be a half day or full day. If you see and do everything (go down a mine, watch molten gold being poured into bars, watch the mine dancers, etc.), it could take a full day. Opinions vary as to whether Pretoria warrants a half day or full day. Plus there is some glitsy shopping in Sandton.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

bump
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:13 AM

AAFF, I don't know if you saw this recent thread entitled, "One Day in Johannesburg," which covers some of the same ground.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=4

The other thread discusses Rosebank, which, like Sandton, is a pleasant area in the northern suburbs.

If you have three nights in Johannesburg, that means you have two full days there. If you combine the ideas in both threads, I honestly think you have enough to occupy yourself for two days.

I wouldn't be able to tell you the details off the top of my head, but if you're REALLY interested in archaeology, there are some interesting archeological digs in South Africa where very early human and pre-human remains have been found. Many years ago my father-in-law and my husband did a day's excursion from Johannesburg to one of these digs. They found it very interesting. However, it would take some research to find out what activity is taking place in that regard at present.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 10:03 PM

Judy is referring to the Cradle of Humankind - a lovely drive of about 45 minutes from Sandton (depending on the traffic). There is an excellent restaurant on the grounds as well.
I don't know the dates you will be here but to see the real rainbow nation your best bet is to attend an ODI. The Wanderers game is on 4 Feb and the atmosphere is always amazing. (Selwyn - I trust you were at Newlands last night?)
I think a must do is to take a trip down a mineshaft at Gold Reef City.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:42 AM

AAFF, ODI = One Day International (as in cricket match)
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Judy and Sandi, thanks for the Cradle of Humankind info! I will try to get there in May -- it sounds fascinating.

Celia
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody,

Everything is set. I'm leaving in 2.5 weeks. Kenya, South Africa, Singapore and Hong Kong. Can't wait.