Thornybush vs. Sabi

Sep 6th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thornybush vs. Sabi

We planning our first trip to SA and Botswana in November 2005. We are looking to spend 3 nights in the Kruger area and would like to receive some advise on the Jackalberry Safari Lodge located in the Thornybush Private Game Reserve. How does the game viewing in the Thornybush Reserve compare to the Sabi Sands? Should we just "cough up" the cash to stay in the Sabi Sands reserve?
Thanks in advance for our advice!

Sep 6th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Hello,

Based on the maps I've seen, Thornybush is quite small compared to Sabi Sands and has a relatively high density of lodges, which may be of concern to you.

I haven't stayed at Thornybush, but I did stay at the neighbouring Timbavati Reserve, as well as several times in the Sabi Sands. In my experience, the game viewing in the Sabi Sands was notably superior.

There are some very pricey lodges in the Sabi Sands, but there are some more reasonable ones as well. You may also find that some of the 'big-name' lodges are less expensive than you thought. I've stayed at Londolozi several times, and recommend it wholeheartedly. The guiding is superb and the game-viewing exceptional, especially of leopards. I even saw wild dog twice -- a very rare sight in the greater Kruger area! CCAfrica often has good specials on their website -- www.ccafrica.com For some reason, Londoz Safari Lodge is less popular than the other Londoz camps, and therefore is less expensive.

If your budget cannot accommodate Londoz, I would recommend looking into Notten's Bush Camp, which is in a great location (between Londolozi and Mala Mala). The animals don't know or care how much you paid, and you'll be seeing some of the same game as people at Londoz and MalaMala.

Cheers,
Julian

Sep 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Julian! We'll take a closer look at the Sabi camps you recommended.
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Anybody stayed at Royal Malewane? What are your thoughts on it compared to the best that the SSGR has to offer?

Search this Thread