This Sunday on Animal Planet- Leopards of Phinda

May 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

This Sunday on Animal Planet- Leopards of Phinda

Saw an ad for Animal Planet for this sunday 5/6 on "Stalking the Leopards" about the leopards at Phinda Game Reserve. Sounds interesting.
May 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Thanks! That would be of special interest to me since I'll be there before too long.
May 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Keep me posted of the show, Dennis.....we get the shows a bit delayed over here.....

You sure it's leopards of phinda and not cheetah?

Cheers,
hari
May 4th, 2007, 06:41 PM

On my DVR Guide, the show title is "Wild Kingdom" and the description says "South Africa's Phinda Game Reserve is home to the leopard."

It's on @ 6:00 p.m. Central Time.

Shane
May 4th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Lynn, when are you going to Phinda? I'm going in August.
May 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Hills, we'll miss each other. I am there June 28-July 5. Is this your first trip there or have you been previously? My first trip.
May 4th, 2007, 07:08 PM

My first trip to Africa in its entirety. I'll be at Phinda 6 nights - 3 at Rock and 3 at Vlei. Then to Singita Ebony and Singita Lebombo (2 nights each).

Have you figured out what kind of jacket to take for the early mornings and nights? I live in the midwest and semi-used to the cold. So, I'm thinking about taking a fleece and a down North Face vest. It is super light, warm, and squishes down to a really small size. And I figure it will be great cushioning for souvenirs.
May 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Now I remember, we were both staying about the same amount of time.

I found a down vest (in olive) last year and got it for the early morning walks. I'm used to the same climate as you and we think alike in clothing!

I'll have a report on Phinda before you leave.
May 4th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I'm figuring it will be about the same as Machu Picchu was in winter, maybe a bit nippier because of the jeep/wind.

I'm going to the park and aquarium tomorrow to practice with my new lens.
May 5th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Thanks Dennis. I'll set my DVR, but I need to prioritize Entourage and the Sopranos on Sunday, so may not watch Wild Kingdom until later. I think I may have set my DVR to record all first-run Wild Kingdom's, so hopefully its pre-set.
May 5th, 2007, 08:07 PM

Sunday nights are a bitch to program, huh?
May 6th, 2007, 02:27 AM

Simple...................get 2 DVR's or PVR's (as we call them here in OZ) ;-)
Cheers
Marc
May 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM

A check of the Animal Planet website shows that "Stalking the Leopard" will be repeated on Sunday night (May 6) at 11:00 pm EDT for those of you who can't see it or tape it at 7:00 pm EDT.
May 6th, 2007, 09:51 AM

You really do have to stalk them in Phinda. They are not very habituated for vehicles. I went on an all day long trip trying to find leopards that wear collars for tracking. In the late afternoon we finally saw a female and her cub. Its much easier to see them in the Sabi Sands area.

Mike
May 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM

I was hoping to see some people I know but no luck. When I checked the credits, I did a couple of friends listed, Kevin Pretorius and Simon Bellingham, which seemed strange because Simon was at Ngala in 2005 the date in the credits but then when I replayed the credits I saw they also acknowledged both Phinda and Ngala. I was watching while also online so maybe I missed it but did they mention Ngala in the show?
May 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
cw

I watched the show last night and was disappointed in the informational content, though I always like watching the leopards.

I didn't think they fully explored the issues at Phinda, found the dialogue repetitive, and was frustrated that we never got to hear the two South African scientists speak themselves. It was all narration.

I did not hear them talk about Ngala. I wonder if maybe they filmed there without mentioning it on air.

CW
May 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM

I was also disappointed. I would have preferred a more intelligent discussion of the propriety of too small reserves, what can be done to improve fencing, the proximity of hunting concessions to photographic concessions, and what Phinda can do to REDUCE the number of leopards on its property, which is so small that many are forced to leave to find prey.
May 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM

I thought the show was good. Yes, there could have been other topics covered, but I think the show was meant to illustrate the monitoring methods used by the biologists and the means of how they do it.

Having been to Phinda, we only spotted one leopard during our stay of four days. They are notorious for being elusive there. And because of the varying ecosystems, they have many different types of cover in which to hide.

I know CC Africa was working on trying to acquire properties surrounding the reserve to help with it's conservation program. But it's up to the land owners/farmers to decide to sell.

There is more than enough plains game and smaller prey for the leopards to feed on and the number of lions is kept at a minimum to ensure the healthy population of cheetah and leopard.

And whether there are two leopards or twelve, they will jump the fences anyway. It's what they do. They are escape artists. I don't know of any fenced reserve which has success in keeping leopards within it's confines.
May 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
cw

Divewop,

You have summarized exactly what I thought was missing from the show.

We too spent four days there and saw one leopard, and that was pure luck. I think I spotted another leopard one night but it eluded us.

Our ranger talked about the tensions when the leopards escaped and said that CCAfrica was not adding any leopards to the reserve.

I guess I was hoping for an analysis of the current and future status of leopards in the reserve.

Maybe there will be a Part 2 at some time.

CW