Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   This board will be awesome on safari (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/this-board-will-be-awesome-on-safari-568374/)

climbhighsleeplow Nov 2nd, 2005 11:07 AM

This board will be awesome on safari

I think we can all get rich while living the safari dream if we put together some dream safaris and write books/DVDs about it:

Rocco and Sandi design the itineraries
Luangablondes do the driving
Eben helps set up up the mobile camps
Sarowinner's husband is the mobile camp chef
Kavey, thit_cho, sundowner, lorib do the filming
Sundowner and lorib write the books/scripts
Leely and Julian market the safaris
Patty handles the airfare
....and tuskerdave and jan and bat and all the others whose names and skills are escaping me at this time!

Just awesome - and I have work to do around the house/office instead of posting here...

Patty Nov 2nd, 2005 11:22 AM

...and wjsonl can lasso us a buffalo so Sarvowinner's husband can grill it for dinner ;)

bat Nov 2nd, 2005 11:41 AM

I'm in--now all that I have to do is to develop a useful talent!

Leely Nov 2nd, 2005 11:57 AM

I think it's funny--or maybe even pathetic--that I, in fact, write marketing and advertising in my "real" life.

Dang, I wanted a more exciting safari skill. Like guide or cook or CEO or something. :)

Leely Nov 2nd, 2005 12:03 PM

Oh, also I think Jan should be in charge of elephant-centric safaris, with an emphasis on Kenyan conservation efforts, for those clients so interested.

Nyamera can handle the budget-but-with-mirrors-and-good-lighting angle.

wjsonl Nov 2nd, 2005 02:24 PM

Patty, how do you like your buffalo: lion (rare), jackel (medium-well), or buzzard (well done)?

Nyamera Nov 2nd, 2005 02:56 PM

Tuskerdave makes sure all vehicles are covered in mud and that there are cold beers.

Jan uses her contacts to give everyone the opportunity to hug a baby elephant.

Patty checks if the cat, Jonas, at Mbweha Camp has any ticks, then removes the ones she finds and gives them to the manager.

Leely has expressed the desire to be a cook, so she could advice camps that serve slimy soups not to use maize starch to thicken them.

I’ll do anything except what I’m doing right now and that leaves me no time to write intelligent comments on Fodor’s – but there has to be a good mirror.

Sarvowinner Nov 3rd, 2005 01:08 AM

I put it to my shusband last night bout cooking on the safari - he said he can do a lot with a little but not if the food is stale - so if wjsonl can't lasso the wildebest, guess we need to get some leftovers from the lion prey (bit of safari kill). Only problem is, who will be the brave hero who gets to try to chase the predators away. Rocco seems pretty daring. ;)

luangwablondes Nov 3rd, 2005 01:20 AM

Does the board of misdirection offer a bonus in poaching fresh lion kill?

Just asking, the lowly drivers position seems so, well....low.

Sarvowinner Nov 3rd, 2005 01:44 AM

At least you were given a position, I'm relegated to wife of......

sandi Nov 3rd, 2005 03:50 AM

East Africa - Zambia - East Africa - Zambia - so many choices. Oh, I'll take the former and Roccco will just have to force himself to settle for
Zambia!

Nyamera needs a mirror, and sorry folks, but I'll need the hairblower, princess moi! Under the khaki, there are a few "fru-fru" gals in this group. You know who you are!

Buffalo is good and tender, so that's my choice Jack!

Luangwablonde - driver, low; maybe, but you're the one who will get all the tips!

We've got a cook and sous-chef with Sarowiner's hubby and Leely. We've got the photogs and writers in Kavey, thit_cho, sundowner and lorib. Jan and tuskerdave will keep our animals healthy and well protected.

Eben, out advance man will have camp set-up by the time we arrive; Julian will have taken care of all the PR.

Of course, Patty will see that we all get where we're supposed to be with the least amount of flight connections and the best airfares (many, even free, almost certainly upgrades).

... and there are many others who can lend their hands with their specialties.

What's scary - if we really put our minds to it, we can probably pull it off! But, we all have to commit to purchasing our local Mega Lottery tickets to pay for this adventure - to be shared by the group.

The only thing we have to find is someone or something to do clean-up and "I don't do dishes." Oh, the animals can clean off the plates.

Eben - I howled when I read this. You must have seriously needed a break from cleaning up the house/office.

Marynus Nov 3rd, 2005 04:34 AM

I'll be the bait.

First walk outside and drink a beer and then run like hell when chased by hyenas and lions.

You'll have a nice evening show.

wjsonl Nov 3rd, 2005 05:14 AM

You're on the right, uh... track, Marynus, but call it a "bush run."

bat Nov 3rd, 2005 05:39 AM

Patty--a follow-up to your earlier thread--you know you are spending too much time in Fodorville when you spend an day thinking what skills you could bring to an imaginary safari company.

I'll coordinate the school visits and other cultural activities.

Celia Nov 3rd, 2005 05:42 AM

Luangwablondes, at least you get to go, unlike me!

Sob! Sob! Sob!

bat Nov 3rd, 2005 06:07 AM

sick, really sick . . . still thinking about this instead of working . . .

My partner can handle the legal work.

wjsonl Nov 3rd, 2005 06:08 AM

Celia, why don't you go with Marynus.

dreaming Nov 3rd, 2005 02:59 PM

Sounds great. Can I play too?

I must have a useful skillset I could bring to this adventure. Shopping maybe? Or I could help Nyamera with the budget.

Maybe I'd better go buy my lottery ticket.

Kavey Nov 3rd, 2005 03:30 PM

W00T!
With Rocco and Sandi planning the itinerary I know we wouldn't be slumming plus we'd go to the best places for the wildlife!
We'd be a bloody awesome travel agency between us wouldn't we? Sadly, I doubt we'd be able to get enough business to support ALL of us in the safari-addiction to which we've become accustomed!
:D

sandi Nov 4th, 2005 12:31 PM

We'd be our own best clients!

What we need is someone out on the street hooking in the clients.