Thinking of moving to Johannesburg

May 20th, 1999, 08:33 AM
Alex

Thinking of moving to Johannesburg

I love to travel and live amongst different cultures. Luckily I work for a company that allows me to do just that. We have offices in locations all over the world and I am thinking of transfering to our Johannesburg office for a year. The problem is I've heard a lot about potential crime problems there, ranging from mugging to armed carjacking. I have also heard that people live in gated compounds and should not go out alone at night. Is any of this true? Could anyone give me some advice on their experiences living there?

Many thanks,
Alex

May 27th, 1999, 07:46 AM
michael

You might want to check the news reports. There was recently (last few days) a report issued of the most violent countries in the world. South Africa was number one with something like 62 homicides, 160 rapes per DAY. I've heard it is a great country scenically and for natural resources, but every indication is that it is becoming just as unstable as the rest of Africa.

Jun 2nd, 1999, 07:05 AM
Omar Essack

Hi Alex,

There is a lot of exaggeration around the crime in South Africa.
Yes, there are carjackings and burglaries. Yes, people do live within high security walls and gates. Generally though the city has many safe areas where people live and work without fear. You need to let me know where you will be based and I can find out more for you.
I'm the Managing Director of a radio station in Durban, whose head office is in Johannasburg, so I get to visit there quite often.
E mail me anytime.

Omar

Search this Thread