Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

thinking of doing a tour trip to south africa in july or august of 2009

Dec 7th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

would like to do johannesburg, cape town, victoria falls, kruger park. was wondering if anyone has done anything close to this type of tour and what tour companies would be best to use. also looking at the possibility of including egypt and the pyramids for 3 days. anyones input would be great.
Dec 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Scroll down to thread "Adding short trip to Egypt from South Africa......"

similar question and replies, specifically travel time between the two.

There are also plenty of threads with specific information for the destinations you wish in Southern Afria. Lots of input to help with planning.
Dec 7th, 2008, 03:25 PM
aby

Hi nicolino

you can scroll down to:
Affordable Botswana - trip report Aug-Sept 08

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...s=84&start=100

aby
Dec 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM

For your Southern Africa trip, there are lots of companies.

You can check out the Southern Africa trip index:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34858382

In SA, there is Go2Africa, Southern Destinations with US toll-free #s. I've seen a few people using Rhino too.

In the US some agents are Africa Adventure (I've used several times, all was great), Fish Eagle, Eyes on Africa (I used for South Africa, all was great).

If you wanted one company to do SA and Egypt, Africa Adventure can or for a tour you might look at Overseas Adventure Travel or Globus.

You mention Johannesburg. Other than arrival/departure days, most trips don't spend much time there. For the transition day, there are nice museums, you could visit Soweto where Mandela lived, or DeWildt Cheetah Sanctuary or Rhino & Lion Park.

Were you going to drive yourself in Kruger or did you want a guided safari there?
Dec 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your input i dont think i would drive kruger myself and johannesburg would be nice for 2 full days a 2 nights
Dec 17th, 2008, 02:34 PM

See the excellent responses to my question about Vic Falls/Chobe/Cape Town in the same forum.
Feb 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

ok i need some help. ive decided to do south african in early august. was looking at a trip through gate1 travel which seems really fantastic. i haven't used them before but was told they are great. then i checked a few sites and was advised that they aren't so good. i know its sort of what a person is use to concerning vacations and whether its 5 stars or 2 but i was hoping maybe someone had some good input concerning gate 1 travel.

we want to do capetown, johannesburg, a few safari's including kruegar park and some other stops along the way. we wanted to do victoria falls but we've been told it drys up and there is no falls in late summer.

please help. any information would be great and very helpful
Feb 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM

We visited Vic Falls last August and, although it was winter and the flow of water was greatly reduced, the falls were still impressive. We did not regret going. However, we had been self-driving through Botswana, so the falls were not far out of our way. I am not sure I would bother making a special trip from SA.

I am afraid I can't advise you regarding tour companies as we always arrange our own trips and self-drive. Kruger is within easy reach of Johannesburg (by land tranfer or air) and Johannesburg is a short 2-hour flight from Cape Town. I would be inclined to spend more time in CT than Joburg - there is much to see in CT and the surrounding area.

For Kruger info, so to the South African National Parks website: www.sanparks.org. Robin
Feb 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks canadian robin for your input. we are without doubt going with a tour company and have been looking at gate 1 travel. some of the hotels they use are protea hotel wanderers in johannesburg, protea hotel hazyview in hazyview, lugogo sun hotel in swaziland, protea hotel st lucia in st lucia, protea victoria junction capetown, protea riempie estate in oudtshoom,
protea knysna quays hotel in knysna,
protea marine hotel port elizabeth.
if anyone has stayed at any of these hotels please let me know. i checked out most of the websites and they are considered 3 star plus but would like to hear from some who have experienced the stay. the tour is a great tour with lots to do. was also wondering what typre of shots we would need? what type of meds? etc.
Feb 8th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

1str trip to south africa. very excited alittle nervous. we are taking a tour with gate 1 travel to capetown, johannesburg, kruger park, hazyview, st lucia, kwazulu natal, mpumalanga province and swaziland. i know its alittle early. we are going in august and was wondering about medications needed, shots etc. seems the tour will be using the protea hotel chain in most areas of travel. im told the weather is spring like in days and very cold at night. any input would be greatly appreciated.
Feb 11th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Sounds like a great tour - lots of variety!

It is never too early to start considering vaccinations - some require two shots, 6 months apart. I would visit a travel clinic and get their input on what you need - take your itinerary with you when you go.

I am afraid that I haven't stayed at any of the hotels you mention, so I can't comment on them.

The mornings will be cold, especially when you are game driving in open vehicles at dawn in Kruger. In that situation (in July/August), I wear a T-shirt and shorts with long pants, a fleece long-sleeved pullover and a fleece vest overtop. I then have a nylon windbreaker as the outer layer to cut the wind. I also wear a toque (wool hat) and warm mitts. It warms up quickly and by noon I am often in shorts and a T-shirt.

Have a great trip! Robin
Feb 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Here is the CDC site on vaccinations.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationSouthAfrica.aspx

Rabies is not usually recommended for a trip like yours.

Best bet is a travel clinic.

You can discuss the malaria prevention options. I take Malarone.

I've been in the areas you mention a little earlier than your travel dates and it was very pleasant. It could be described as spring-like, which is what you were told, if you are in the northern part of North America.

Dress in layers, expect shirtsleeves by midday and a fleece and hat at night. Certainly if you are in open vehicles on game drives in the morning or eve/night you'll want a hat and gloves. If you will be at the Cape of Good Hope/Cape Nature Reserve, you'll want warm clothes and a hat that covers your ears because the wind is cool and whipping.

Have a great trip.
Feb 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

thanbks everyone. i been told by some that vaccines arent required and then others say get them all. i think im going to get them all.half of our trip has dinners included we do have to do several dinners on our own. how is the food? i was told not to eat any raw veggies, no fruits unles i p[eel them, no rare meats. also was told to eat everything well done and steaming hot. not to use ice cubes and to drink everything from sealed bottles etc. for those of you that have been to some of the places im going too i would like your input concerning food etc. they say its usually the coldest part of the year in august in south africa sdo not to be to worried about mosquito's. any input would be greatly appreciated
Feb 13th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Food--
Vic Falls-Except for drinking bottled water, I ate normally at restaurants, including fruits and salads.

South Africa-Even the tap water is fine to drink most places. The Cape Town restaurants are tops anywhere with outstanding food.

I would not worry about peeling fruits and veggies or ice in water at any places on your tour unless your guide specifically instructs you to. If you were buying food at the market or purchasing from street vendors, then you'd need to exercise caution.

The places you go are set up to cater to international visitors and they don't want ill guests, nor does Gate1.

Just in case I take Pepto, Imodium, and doctor prescribed Cipro. Very rarely need any of it and I've never gotten severely ill despite eating everything (at reputable lodges/camps) on many trips.

Mosquitos--
There are far fewer mosquitoes in the cold/dry season so your risk of malaria goes down. Kruger is not a malaria free zone any time of year. I use Malarone in Southern Africa in August.

Feb 13th, 2009, 06:28 PM

August is winter/cold, but I would be surprised if you don't encounter at least some mosquitoes in St. Lucia. Like Lynn, we take Malerone, even in August.

As for food, we have traveled all over South Africa and never had a problem and we eat everything - fresh fruit, veggies etc. However, like Lynn, we travel with the appropriate medicines just in case.
Robin
Feb 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

thanks again for the information. so many people say so many negative things so i figured id ask. im guessing according to others that im going to need a heavy jacket for the cold nights and mornings. hot warm does it get at high noon? and how cold can it get in august? we were told that we have a 44lb. restriction for checked baggage on the airline which is south african air and 18 lbs for carry on. gate 1 travel has alot of good reviews so im excited about it.
Feb 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM

"so many people say so many negative things so i figured id ask"

You mean about the weather? It depends where those people are from and where you are from as to what cold means or hot means.
Feb 15th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

well i was told its very cold with very high winds but i checked the weather for south africa in august and it seems to be high 60"s during the day and low 40"s in the evening. not really that cold for me since im use to winters in new york.
Feb 28th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

ok we are booked august 6 thru 23 for a 16 day tour with gate 1 travel to south africa. its a great tour which will take us on several safari's capetown, johannesburg, hazyview, swaziland, mpumalanga province, kwazulu-natal, hluhluwe-umfolozi, st lucia, oudtshoorn, knysna and port elizabeth. the tour uses the protea hotels throughout south africa and they seem to be all 3 star plus. we were told to have several inoculations for protection and to also take malaria meds and have cipro with us in case we get sick. already had dpt, polio, typhoid, hep a, hep b and yellow fever. i know its 5 months away but we are very excited and now need to plan packing etc. we were told leaving the usa the allowance is 2- 50lb bags and one 20 lb carry on but once in south africa it changes to 1-44 lb bag and 1-15 lb carry on. it works well since we will be stationary for one week and will be able to use one of the two bags before continueing on another flight. we will have to leave those clothes etc behind. of course after the trip i will have a trip report posted. if anyone would like to leave some suggestions or recomendations please do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO