Think what you eat

Jul 27th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Think what you eat

Some of you may have seen my previous notes regarding the bush meat trade. Some expressed that restaurants obtained their meats from game farms set up to raise and supply the animals to local restaurants. Since I wasn't sure about this, I wrote Dr. Daphne Sheldrick directly and asked her what the honest story was. The following is her e-mail to me on 7-24-03.

Regarding your query about restaurants. Sadly there are no fenced "farms" in this country that farm wild animals on a sustainable basis - only quotas allocated to various ranchers, who shoot what they can wherever they can, which is certainly not sustainable. Everyone is trying very hard to get the cropping scheme, which was supposed to be only experimental for some 5 years, halted, because it is this that has led to the bush meat trade. When the local people see tourists wolfing down giraffe,zebra and even crocodile, people that used to shun eating game meat, have taken to it, and the bush meat trade is threatening the very survival of Kenya's wildlife resources. One of our de-snaring teams came across 5 giraffe snared and hanging in trees in the Tsavo West boundary the other day, along with dozens of other animals such as zebra etc. which simply illustrates the scale of the slaughter. Furthermore, game meat is not health inspected, so who knows what parasites humans might get from eating crocodile who feed on rotten carrion carcases, bearing in mind that it is believed that SARS, Ebola, Mad cow disease and even AIDs might have originated through the consumption of infected meat".

Personally I would much rather see the animals in their natural environment than eat them. However, after reading the above you will be able to make an educated decision for yourself. I just wanted everyone to know the truth.

Jan
Another Kenya lover
Jul 27th, 2003, 03:04 PM

Jan
Thanks for posting the letter.
For anyone else interested in learning more about the effects of the "bushmeat" trade on animals- you might want to check out this link: http://sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/desnaring/index.html

It describes the process of "snaring" wildlife for sale as bushmeat.

Everyone has different ethical values regarding what they eat . As Daphne Sheldrick says it's important to make an informed decision.

Sharon
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:32 PM

topping for "Off to Africa"

Search this Thread