Things to do in Johannesburg

May 26th, 1997, 06:16 PM
Julie Smith

Things to do in Johannesburg

I have a 7 hour stop over in Johannesburg coming up in July. Require information on a hotel or guest house - not too exspensive, that I could check into for a half day. Close to airport and/or city preferably. First time there so anything else of interest to check out that is accessible would also be appreciated.

Please reply directly to [email protected] rather than through Fdors. I am contactable via email until June 4th. Thanks

May 28th, 1997, 12:38 PM
andrew

You're going to be cutting it awfully fine if you want to check into a hotel for a few hours AND see some of Johannesburg. The airport is half an hour from the city. There are several hotels right around the airport, but I don't know if any of them offer half-day rates. There are two Holiday Inns (one full-service hotel and a cheaper Garden Court hotel), but you can also get cheap rooms at Formula 1, a French chain of prefabricated, Lego-style hotels. If you do decide to head into the city, consider visiting the Museum of Africa downtown and maybe head up to the top of the Carlton Centre to get a panoramic view of the city. In all honesty, though, Johannesburg isn't a great tourist destination, and crime is a very real problem, especially downtown.

Search this Thread