Search

There's a squirrel in my garage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a squirrel in my garage

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...0&y=a10yzv

Can anyone ID the species? I live in the eastern part of Los Angeles county if that helps.

It's been there since Sunday. I left the garage door open Sunday and yesterday evening to see if it would just leave on it's own but it's still there.

It was behind the water heater last night and looks like it hasn't moved. I can't see any obvious outward signs of injury, but I can't think of any other reason why it would still be there unless maybe it's an orphaned young squirrel?

Anyone have advice as to what to do? Any squirrel experts here?

I've left messages with some wildlife rehabilitators in the area and am waiting for call backs.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Oh, she is sooooo cute!

I wouldn't know what to do either... but I'd try to call a zoo and ask them.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:08 AM

If you're not afraid that it will attract more animals, than I'd leave a trail of nuts that leads out the door of your garage and hope she leaves.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Looks like an eastern ravenous bushtail or maybe a baby cutieness flattail.
Although preditor B. will be able to identify better.
I like Lucia's idea or similar. I know the one's in my yard like wood shingles, trim and anyother thing they think is edible - so put out a trail viddles out and wait.
Good luck!
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Patty, with this heat, a pan of water may be the most attractive. Set it outside the garage and leave. I wouldn't get near it - no idea about rabies.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:31 AM

http://www.squirrels.org/raising.html
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:34 AM

I suggest you call L.A. County animal control. They should send someone out within a day to remove it. (However, if it were me I would take a broom handle and gently encourage the critter out of there and outside.

<font color="red">Kevin from Thousand Oaks</font>
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

I did some more searches online and think that it might be a young orphan. It looks about the same size as the 7 week old one shown here http://www.animaladvocates.us/squirrels.htm

I don't know if it's fully weaned.

Thanks for the link, Nyamera. I look at it right now.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to say I did try leaving water but I don't think it's moved an inch from it's location.

Tried gently nudging with a broom yesterday too and that didn't work either.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I was forced away from the computer. Any news about the squirrel?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Patty, is there a wildlife rehabber in your area? They'll know what to do.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Sorry, Patty, didn't read that you had already done that.

You could try this: http://www.nwrawildlife.org/document...bs_mammals.pdf
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

No news to report as I'm still at the office. It'll be another 2 or so hours before I head home.

I've emailed/left messages with half a dozen wildlife rehabbers in my area and hope one of them contacts me soon.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Patty: I can't tell you the species based on that picture and my limited knowledge of California speices but it does appear to be a young of a tree squirrel species, ground/rock squirrels in California usually have spotted coats.

I agree with calling your local rehabilitator to come remove it or give advice. You could check with your hardware store for a have-a-heart live trap (they should have a good one for squirrel size and bait it by rolling some oats or cereal in some peanut butter. You won't need much of that, about teaspoon size and put a little tupperware of water too so it can drink in the trap. Put the trap along the wall fairly close to where the squirrel is hiding and leave him be for a while.

Once caught if it is indeed a young one you are going to need to take it to the rehabilitor. The rehabilitator may just advise you to pick it up with gloves and put it in a box which is what I would do for you if I was there, plus I could loan you about 400 small mammal live traps. I understand not wanting to handle it, rodents can be disease vectors and it can be freaky but I think you have a young scared animal that doesn't know where to go.

Good luck -- let us know what happens.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pred. I just called a local feed store that rents/sells traps so will stop and pick one up later. I think that may be the best thing to try. It's in a location where it would be very difficult for me to reach and grab it. Plus I'm still a little scared that it might bite through a glove.

I also called LA County Animal Control out of curiosity just to see what they'd say (I have little faith in local animal control). First of all, they won't even come to my house unless the squirrel is already trapped. Then I asked what they'd do with it and they said they'd euthanize it
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Well, guess where the squirrel is now? Underneath the hood of the car. I didn't think to pull it out of the garage this morning, so now there's a squirrel in the engine.

I set the trap with peanut butter and oats. I really hope it takes the bait.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Oh, good luck Patty - hope you can rescue the poor little guy!

<font color="green">Cyn</font>
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:23 PM
bat

oh dear--good luck.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 08:04 PM

showed the picture to my husband, he's not a squirrel expert but he thought it was a baby ground squirrel. he also thought a carrot might work well in the trap.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Patty: give an update in the a.m. Hopefully the trap will work -- usually the peanut butter and oats combo is dynamite although it won't always be instantaneous as they get used to the trap.

Radiator fluid is sweet and probably attracted the squirrel under the hood. Hopefully the peanut butter will get him out of there and into the trap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -