Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   The "Wet" impacting some Serengeti airstrips - or "The Serengeti Airstrip Game" (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/the-wet-impacting-some-serengeti-airstrips-or-the-serengeti-airstrip-game-665678/)

sandi Dec 22nd, 2006 05:13 AM

The "Wet" impacting some Serengeti airstrips - or "The Serengeti Airstrip Game"

For those who will be traveling in the near future, please note that some of the flights in/out of the Serengeti are landing at airstrips other than one may expect.

This is all due to the rain, but your in-country outfitters have been advised and will have made plans for your meet/greet or departures as scheduled, even if from another airstrip.

Right now Seronera is closed for repairs. Ndutu is too wet, so the Kusini (Serengeti South) airstrip is being used. Kusini is also serving as an alternative for Seronera. Two planes got bogged down at Ikoma airstrip. Klein's airstrip is also wet, so Lobo is being used instead.

Seems Lobo, Kusini and Grumeti are the only ones that are operational.

But this is now, next week, even a day or two from now, it may be different.

Just have patience and a sense of humor and go with the flow (of water water everywhere). And picture all the green and flowers.

Hey, better rain than drought.
... and pack your Wellies!

atravelynn Dec 22nd, 2006 06:29 AM

Thank you Sandi. With the weather in the US and around Heathrow, even getting to a Serengeti airstrip may be the first big hurdle.

lovetodiscover Dec 22nd, 2006 08:24 AM

Thank you, Sandi. Much appreciated. We do have a flight out of Seronera on 4 Jan. I'm ready for an adventure and to Lynn's point hoping to get out of US on-time for connections. Still have a few days and flying NW, so will keep my fingers crossed.
Again, thanks.

tuckeg Dec 23rd, 2006 05:30 PM

Good info Sandi. My friends at Klein's just sent me some photos of the Grumeti and I wouldn't have recognized it compared with what we saw in late September.

santharamhari Dec 25th, 2006 05:55 AM

Wow!!! weird, how it changes year to year. Last year we were talking of extreme drought........

Hari

Lolazahra Dec 25th, 2006 02:16 PM

We are supposed to be flying into Ndutu on January 7. From your description, who knows what it will be like in a whole 2 weeks! We will go with the flow. Thanks for the info.

drdrake Dec 25th, 2006 06:38 PM

What is the word just to the north @Mara? My wife and I are going to be there for 3 days just after the first of the year.

sandi Dec 26th, 2006 03:56 AM

I dont have a direct report from the Mara, but see thread above "Masai Mara - Dec 15." Eben's posting of his recent experiences in the Mara. Things can change from day-to-day, week-to-week. In a week from now, it can be dry (or drier). I'm sure, however, you'll enjoy your stay, just be prepared for whatever. It's rather strange weather for this late in the season.