Search

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Hi all,

I know there are fans of this series of books set in Botswana, so if anyone has missed this, HBO are running the series in the old Sopranos slot on Sunday nights, starting on March 29.

http://www.hbo.com/events/no1ladies/index.html

As an aside, I've been helping out with the Botswana Tourism Board's marketing efforts; they are launching a big marketing campaign here in the States to raise awareness of Botswana as a destination.

There will be two websites (one for the trade and one for consumers) and their initial promotion will launch to coincide with the HBO series.

James
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:15 PM

HBO promoted for the spring, so I guess end-March is the time.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Thanks for heads-up on HBO. We've read the books and seen the movie. There was a movie about No.1 about two years ago staring Jill Scott. It was a BBC production I think. Anyone else remember it? Wondering if the HBO series will be this movie chopped up into segments or a another production?

regards - tom
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM

As I recall, the BBC presentation was last year, running just short of 2/hrs as someone posted. If HBO is using the 9pm slot, the earlier BBC showing might be chopped into 45/min segments. A mini-series can be only 3/shows or a season of 12/shows. Unless, after the director (Minghella, sp) passed, additionl filming was done to present a more substantive mini-series. We'll see when we see.

I might have mentioned earlier in the "What are you reading...." thread, the next book in the No.1 series is due out in April.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM

I'm curious to see the campaign. A few years ago Botswana (or at least some of the agents that provided trips to Botswana) made it known that Botswana was low impact/high revenue, meaning very expensive for a limited number of visitors. That was certainly the case during my August 2001 visit -- which was great, but pricey. I'm interested in seeing the new spin -- "high price" is not going to cut it in this Great Recession, in my opinion.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

When I was at Vumbura this past December, we ran across some guys filming there for the series... wildlife I guess, as they continued to show up at our sightings.

Jill Scott was riding in the front seat and a very expensive looking HD camera were in the middle row. I had to laugh because the gentleman doing the filming had the stereotypical movie director look, complete with flowing silk scarf around his neck and satin shirt unbuttoned nearly to his navel.

Not sure how many episodes, but the first episode occupies a 90-minute slot and the series is set to run through June 7.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 03:23 AM

It's being advertised as 'coming' on the BBC in the UK , but just having looked in next week's 'Radio Times' there's no mention of a starting date. I'm in Botswana 19 March-
1 April. Hope I don't miss the start. I shall put my son on
alert to record for me. I'm just reading no. 9 in paper back.
I always take a slim old favourite book with me on safari, but never open it. I'm always too busy, either writing
my diary, catching up on my sleep with a siesta, or nattering away with people I've met.
I'm counting the days.
Jan
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:11 AM

It is my understanding that they are running the BBC version as the introduction on the 29th. HBO just ran a half-hour promo on Wednesday night called "Botswana the Gem of Africa", a little bit of history, a little geography, a little sociology and lots of quotes from the actors and crew. I need to paraphrase one of the actors here..."We come here (Africa) to teach, when really we have so much to learn" (that is a total paraphrase.)

"Teatime for the Traditionally Built"(#10 in the series) has been ordered for this household and should be delivered April 5th - I can hardly wait.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:28 AM

VeeR,
Thats good to know. I've just watched the BBC lunchtime news and before it was another 'ad' saying starting on
15 March. I looked on the BBC website and they refuse to go beyond 14 March. I suppose all will be revealed in time.
Ten episodes will be great.

Jan
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Toping this as reminder, airs this weekend.
regards - tom
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:12 AM

... and apparently, not in the former Soprano's (Big Love) 9pm slot. It's scheduled for 8pm East/West time zones, 7pm Central time.
Run-time seems to be 1.5/hrs.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 07:38 AM

I do hope they will put it out on DVD/BluRay at some point for those of us who don't have HBO. The book series is one of my favorites!
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM

i went to the premier at HBO studios in NYC last weekend. the show comes on at 8 PM easter time this sunday. don't miss it!

craig beal
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 05:21 PM

A post I made a last month for all those interested in the book.

My involvement with the new Lady Detective book:

http://safaritalk.net/index.php?show...dies+detective

PS deleted my old lbj account, so now lbj2
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 06:36 AM

I'm so looking forward to watching this on Sunday!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Having watched the various promos I am awaiting the soundtrack DVD. I can find nothing about "Bo-Jazz" on the net which seems to be the genre of three of the major contributors.
I will take a list of the artists with me in June and plan on a city safari in Maun to a music store.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM

I am seeing the new tv ad for Botswana every night on the BBC news here. It's quite well done IMHO.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM

I was thinking about reading the books, but would love to watch the series on tv. Only thing is, usually books are better I find, and the movie/series is not as good and sometimes not even close to the book. Any thoughts on reading vs. the series? Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

ttt

If anyone missed it, here is HBO schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -