The late bird gets wormed...

Sep 19th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

The late bird gets wormed...

Hello,

Bugger! After all that debating about where to stay in Vic Falls it turns out that River Club is full up for the dates I need #39;( And here I thought that once Mombo was taken care of, I didn't need to worry about availability...

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 19th, 2005, 03:02 PM

At least you no longer have worms!

(I just checked and I really don't like the looks of Vic Falls Hotel...)

Sep 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

What do you think of Ilala and Matetsi?

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 19th, 2005, 06:01 PM
bat

jasher:
For those of us living through you vicariously, this is getting a little difficult keeping up. I thought you did not like the reports on the food at River Club. Oh--now that you cannot have it you want it?

Plus, what happened to Tongabezi?
Sep 19th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Jules - They look fine...Matetsi is hard to really see on the site, esp. since it's undergoing construction. Tongabezi looks very cool...the cottages come with twin beds. #39;>

(I don't think the other "houses") do. My choices would be probably in this order: Tongabezi or Matetsi, then Ilala. They just look more open and "campish."

Sep 19th, 2005, 08:27 PM

What about Sussi and Chuma - has anyone been there and have comments?

Sep 19th, 2005, 09:06 PM

You might think twice about staying in the place that's "under construction." Somehow it always seems that you're put right next to the construction zone & it's noisy, noisy, noisy.
Sep 19th, 2005, 10:44 PM

Or was it the web site & not the hotel which was "under construction?"
Sep 20th, 2005, 04:04 AM

If you do a search on my name or search for Sussi and Chuma, you will see my review of S&C. In a nutshell - we had a good time because we enjoyed our activities while staying at S&C, enjoyed the location among the trees overlooking the river, did not like it's hotel-like feel, and the food was quite bad. I think there were also other recent reviews that were 'less than glowing'.
Sep 20th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Hello Bat,

I've been debating between River Club, Tongabezi, Ilala, and Matetsi -- the food reports about River Club were a bit concerning, but not enough to put me off. No one said much about the food at any of the other places except for Matetsi. I decided on River Club before I knew it was full-up.

Tonagbezi is still an option -- though to be honest I like the open-fronted design, which the cottages at Tongabezi don't have.

Sorry , I should have been more specific. I was thinking of Matetsi Water Lodge, which isn't undergoing construction -- Matetsi Safari Camp, the other camp there, is closed due to lack of bookings.

Sussi and Chuma seems to have gotten a numbre of mediocre reviews which aren't encouraging, so I wasn't really considering it.

I do like the more lodge-like feel of Tongabezi and Matetsi (and the pricing at Matetsi - $250 pppn!). Transfers are not included at Matetsi, though -- they are about US$40 return from Vic Falls.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 20th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi ,

Just received a clarification from CCA about transfers at Matetsi -- transfers to/from the falls ARE included if we go with the 'group transfer' after the morning activity and brunch (leaving around 11-1130) and return with the 'group transfer' before tea time (around 315-330). However, if we wanted to stay later and/or leave earlier (e.g. to see the falls at dawn or sunset) we would need to arrange a private transfer which would not be free. Matetsi does offer some low-key game drives as well, though I'm not sure I'd want to keep getting up at 6am -- for me, the point of going to Vic Falls is to ease back into the non-safari life.

This seems to be the main difference between the lodges in Zim and those in Zambia -- the Zambian ones include more stuff but cost more, and the Zimbabwean ones don't include as much and are less expensive.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 20th, 2005, 08:59 AM

I'm curious as to what you didn't like about the "looks" of the Victoria Falls Hotel, one of Africa's classic colonial hotels. I'm interested b/c I search these hotels out and have had great stays in the Mount Nelson (Cape Town), Polana (Maputo) and Norfolk (Nairobi), as well as other historic hotels around the world. One of the reasons I prefer them is because they are so very different from other, more standard hotels.

The Vic Falls is situated within walking distance of the Falls and you wouldn't be dependent on a shuttle.

But, I guess it depends what you're interested in -- but I wouldn't stay any place else if I return.

Plus, most of my day was spent doing activities around the Falls, and we didn't spend that much time at the hotel, other than meals and sleeping.

Its a great hotel and it deserves patronage, if only to ensure that these historic hotels are maintained.

Michael
Sep 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Hi Michael - Honestly I only took a cursory look at it. I am sure it's a lovely place....just seemed a bit stuffy for my taste. I am rally a very simple gal! I could be wrong...and given its location I should probably take another look. At any rate,I certainly didn't mean to insult the hotel itself.
Sep 20th, 2005, 09:18 AM

It is a bit stuffy, lots of mounted heads on the walls, and photos of English royalty, and similar decorations, but the room was very nice (we booked through Platinum Amex and were upgraded to a two-room corner suite), but the location can't be beat.
Sep 20th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Cooncat -

I'm curious too about the what you didn't like about the Vic Falls Hotel. I think it is a great, classic hotel with great service, good food, good location.

It might not be what you're looking for (more activities?), but I thought I'd chime in with my experience with the hotel.

I last stayed there in August '04. It wasn't a ghost town, but was fairly quiet. Not like in the 80s when it fairly buzzed with activity...
Sep 20th, 2005, 09:24 AM

OK - UNCLE!!!! ;-)

I'm going to go back to the web and check it out again!

(If anything it looked TOO nice for me, not good enough!)

Sep 20th, 2005, 10:19 AM

So, I checked it out again. I'm really sorry but it just looks too fancy for me. I can just see myself traipsing around in my khakis, t-shirts and chacos!! But that is just me.....
Sep 20th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I wandered the halls in shorts and flip-flops, but I did have to borrow a blazer from the hotel for dinner.
Sep 20th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

There are better pictures of the Vic Falls Hotel on the EOA website than on their own website. The rates for 2 people sharing aren't bad -- I've sent them to you via email.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 20th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Michael,

You won't need that blazer on your next visit -- the dress code has been relaxed and smart casual is now fine for the Livingstone Room.

BTW, how was the food at the Victoria Falls Hotel?

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread