Search

Nervous solo traveler going to Morroco

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nervous solo traveler going to Morroco

Hi,

I am a 35 year old female, solo traveler planning on going to Morocco either through GAP Adventures or Intrepid. I was hoping to see if anyone in this forum has done either the south morocco discovery tour with Interpid or Marvelous Morroco tour through Gap Adventures and get feedback on their experiences.

What am I nervous about you may ask... first I am wondering whether Inteprid or Gap Adventures is an ideal way for a solo traveler to visit Morocco. Second, I am curious to know what the average age was in the tour group. Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had other recommendations besides Gap Adventures or Intrepid.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!!
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM

I couldn't tell you anything about those tour groups, but if you are a solo female, it may be more comfortable to be on a tour in Morocco. It can be a bit rough if you are not used to traveling in that part of the world.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
My first visit of, now, many was on a tour and I recommend it as an introduction to the country. It's an easy place for subsequent visits on your own as I've done but having the first on a tour, the only tour I've ever taken, I think was good for reconnaisance.

I'm not familiar with the companies you mention and I'm not sure if the age of the participants matters much as long as the tour is promoted as "active" and has the elements you're looking for. I assume you aren't looking for a more sedentary tour at your age.

Travelling in Morocco on your own is not a problem as long as you know the ropes a bit and the tour would give you that introduction. I don't think twice about it and it's among my very favorite destinations.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 06:42 PM

Interpid is a very well known Tour Operator, you can use them safely with no Problems as you can meet other Travellers to share the Trip Better than going with unknown Tour company to wander Morocco.
Read More on Fodor recommendations there is a lot of stories, and a lot of High recommendations for good tour operators to Morocco.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Click on my name for my Morocco TR - I went on an Intrepid comfort level tour. Not the one you're looking at, but still Intrepid. It was my fifth Intrepid tour. There is usually a mix of ages.

GAP (now renamed G Adventures after one of their Antarctic boats sank) is another well-known operator. In the same general class you could look at Peregrine/Gecko or Imaginative Traveller. Adventures Abroad also does small groups but is a bit more expensive.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input and response.

MmePerdu, you are correct I am not looking for a sedentary tour but most of these tours are not promoted as active, which is one of my worries.

I am leaning towards Intrepid since that seems to be more popular. Thursdaysd, I am trying to find your Morocco TR maybe I am not tech savvy...will search for it again.

Thank you all again...much appreciated!!
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 10:00 AM

@Freedom30 - go here: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...can-medley.cfm
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thursdaysd,

Unbelievable!! I read your post on Morocco and it is so detailed and very, very helpful. Thank you for sending the link. For some reason I had a very high expectation on the Intrepid tour but your post puts it in perspective...especially in regards to the hotel, tour guide, and restaurants.

Christina, I will definitely look into the 2 options you provided and will reach out if I have any questions.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd, I have to say after reading the entire post...I am a little hesitate in using a tour group...or maybe I should change my destination decisions, decisions...
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Well, tours have upsides and downsides. As tour companies go I'm pretty satisfied with Intrepid. A lot depends on the make up of your group - my Morocco group was unusually sedate - and your leader.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Hello!

I will not be as gentle and un-opinionated as most of the people here... just direct lol.

What would you do if you were going to Hong Kong or NYC? Do you speak any French (that helps a lot!)? Are you a friendly kind of person? If you get hopelessly lost in a city and have to ask for help, and get lost a couple more times, but survive it all unscathed, how will you react? (I met a couple where the guy was like 6'3 and they got scared... I found that just plain funny._

How long till you go? (I found three weeks a bit short for planning, but still had a great trip)

I am old enough to be your mother, and would have felt smothered on such a tour. OTOH it took me a couple of days to get my sea legs... learning how to spot landmarks that wouldn't be changed during the day, and willing to ask for help when getting lost (ask women if you can). The first day I asked a young woman at the hotel to walk me up to the square and point out a good restaurant. Sometimes I felt scared, but never with reason. (If you think about it, no one drinks in this country, so you just don't get rowdies) I always dressed conservatively, but never felt the need for a headcovering, except as a hat, lol, and had a fabulous time.

I used a driver with car for traveling from Fez to the desert and then to Marakech (which you can skip as far as I'm concerned... ok, one overnight maybe, just for the night food market) and felt completely and totally safe and had a fabulous wonderful time. (If I post the name here someone will call me a tout... but if you start a separate thread on car and driver companies a number of us can respond lol)

OTOH I took a LOT of care picking my hotels, being sure to be near major arteries (in Fez being near the Blue Gate, which they call "La Porte Bleu" was very helpful because everyone knew it, no matter what language they did or didn't understand).

The nice thing too about a car and driver is that you can change your plans mid-stream. I got to the desert and knew that I had to stay longer. So I did.

But only you can know your comfort level. If you are a "look out the window at stuff" person then a tour is for you. If you are a touch it, feel it, smell it, experience it person... then perhaps not.

Best!

TF