The Great Migration-A Must See?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are debating between an Aug Mara agenda targetted specifically for the migration vs a November trip when there are less tourists and cheaper rates. I know both will be great but is the migration like a 'got to see, once in a lifetime, words can't describe it' type of thing? Bottom line is, if you had one and only one trip, is it worth the tradeoffs to see the migration? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:57 PM

Yes, a thousand times yes. I have been on five safaris, visited over 300 UNESCO World Heritage Sites on over 100 countries, and the migration is the most amazing natural event I have experienced. My number two safari experience (the Okavango Delta) is a very distant number two.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
santharamhari

Davez,

Even if you can do October........you will still catch some of the migration and i dont know about the rates.....some camps may charge slightly lower than during August.

Also, depends on what you are looking for.....in my experiences the Botswana experience was far superior to the migration........but, yes, the migration is a truly fantastic experience!!!

Hari

Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:34 PM

where do the wildebeests and zebras go when they are not migrating? do they stay at one place until time to migrate, then migrate and stay there until it's time to come back? Never been interested in seeing it, but almost everyone else is, so there must be something to it?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:04 PM
santharamhari

I think they stay in one place as long as the grasses are palatable and there is enough water. They keep moving on to find similar pastures........

Yes, teh crossings are awesome!!! so is the great image of such huge masses of animals in one place. However, the crowds particularly in the crater area are awful!!! Mara can be brutal with crowds in August!!!

To me, i would like to spend as much time as possible at sightings. I hate sightings where, within 2 minutes i am forced to leave due to the traffic congestion.....it's just not such a great experience.....

Hari

Old May 24th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Dennis,
Eben's maps will give you an idea of where the migrating herds are throughout the year (scroll to the bottom) - http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/serengeti.htm

I've never had a desire to see it either (but maybe that's because I've never seen it )
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:20 AM

I was in the Mara & Serengeti in October and we missed the big migreation. We still saw a couple hundred of the less motivated wildebeest standing around staring at us

I would recommend paying the extra cash and seeing thundering heards by the thousands. I would not go back UNLESS it was that time.
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Wayne,
It is a pretty spectacular sight - miles of zebra, wilderbeeste and buffalo. That, along with the masses of preditors that this attracts, as well as being present for the birthing is something not to be missed.
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM

I thought loads of wildebeest so what. Nice to see, move on. But it's masses of everything wildebeest, zebras, tommies, grants, hartbeest, topi and impala etc, this of course brings out the diners.

It's just brilliant.
Shame didn't see any wildie births.
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:17 AM

davez,

Missed the migration in Serengeti last time around and still had a wonderful time. Hoping to catch it in a few weeks. However (big however), it's pretty hard to plan where the animals will be months ahead of time, so I'd say shoot for it but don't count on it. Try to enjoy all the Serengeti-Mara ecosystem has to offer no matter what.

It does sound like Mara in August is thisclose to a safe bet, though.

Old May 24th, 2006, 11:50 AM

I agree Leely
It is getting more hit and miss with climate change.
There is still lots to see without the migrations.
Posted a migration video but realy doesn't do the spectacle justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbJ-PPQiqZc
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Great footage. Better than what I saw in tha Mara in October... though not that much better

The missing footage wad a thundering heard crossing a river with dozens fighting not to drown.
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Off topic--sorry davez!

Wayne, you really wouldn't consider going back without aiming for the migration? I'm surprised!

And another great clip, net warrior. Also enjoyed the Crater, although, boy, there were so many people chattering.
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Oh, and the comment about the chatter was meant as a comment about the number of tourists there, not your video.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Leely,

I think it came off pretty bad how I said it. I loved the Mara and just seeing the landscape itself and the animals I did see were worth it.

I just want to hear the thundering of many wildebeests & zebras running at the same time.

I want to see some births.

Old May 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM

hi, i didnt read all this but,
YES! mara and the migration! go for it.
cheers, d
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

so August in the Mara it is, eh? Any contrasting views out there, I am all ears....thanks to all for your comments.