Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   The David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/the-david-shepherd-wildlife-foundation-420161/)

Kavey Apr 8th, 2004 02:08 AM

The David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation

One of the highlights of my recent trip to the Mara was the opportunity to meet and talk often to David Sheperd; wildlife artist and conservationist.

The Festival of Wildlife had as it's focus an auction of paintings, prints and other items in aid of the charity and, preceding the auction itself, David gave us a passionate talk, at times funny and at times disturbing, about his experiences, about the problems that his charity is working to resolve and about the success stories they have achieved.

I appreciate that advertising is not permitted in the Fodors forums but hope I will be forgiven for highlighting the work of this charity in fighting for the wildlife that motivates many of us to travel.

Please do have a look at the charity's website at www.davidshepherd.org and consider supporting it if you agree that the work being done is worthwhile.

Supporters can help by becoming members and/ or by purchasing the many wonderful paintings and prints on sale.

Thank you,
Kavey

SusanLynne Apr 8th, 2004 08:21 AM

Kavey, considering some of us (including me!) blatantly advertise for our tour company preferences, I think there is certainly some wiggle room for this site!

Kavey Apr 8th, 2004 08:35 AM

Well, thanks!
I've just written an article which I am going to send to travel magazines for publication. I have no experience nor previously published articles so it's unlikely I'll get this one published but aim to try anyway. It's slanted to ask readers for support for the DSWF.
I am also thinking about how I can help - whether I can put together a training course where some percentage of the proceeds go to DSWF or whether it would be better to help them in a different way...
I'm still thinking on it.
But I did want to draw Fodorites' attention to the work being done by this charity.
In the list of top earning charities in the UK the highest in the list in that an animal related charity climbs is 40-something.
I know how important it is to help people. But I truly believe people will lose out in the end if we lose our environment and the animal diversity within it.
Kavey

Clematis Apr 8th, 2004 10:08 AM

Yeah, the advertising rule doesn't pertain to individuals *with no connection* praising a charity for goodness sakes, Kav! Thank you for posting and I'll take a look.

Kavey Apr 8th, 2004 12:26 PM

I have written a letter today to David and sent it to him directly, as he requested, with cheque for something he did for me as a favour on the trip.
Have also written an article I am going to try and sell to a travel magazine though I doubt I'll succeed but it's slant is about supporting the DSWF.
Thanks for your time in reading the site.

Kavey Apr 12th, 2004 11:35 PM

Those of you who love to have African wildlife art on your walls do check out some of the wonderful prints on sale through the site!