The Blue Train

Jan 30th, 2000, 10:30 AM
MP

The Blue Train

Has anyone had any experience with this particular method of traveling from Cape Town to Johannesburg? For example, the time required, availability, etc. Is it worth making this part of our vacation (i.e., not really count it as a "travel day")?

Feb 5th, 2000, 10:40 AM
samm

Memorable expierence - great way to get an idea of the size and scope of South Africa. The Blue Train rates as one of the world's most luxurious train trips. It is a pampered way to spend 24 hours in luxury (1 day and 1 night), departing 11h00 on day one, arriving about 11h00 on day two. If you want a more historic 'train'. there is Rovos Rail, authenic 100-year old coaches (like the Orient Express) but better, as all are ensuite. Great food and service.

Feb 6th, 2000, 05:41 AM
Bert

My wife and I traveled on the Blue Train in September 1999. The trip was flawless in every respect and I would not have wanted to miss even one minute of the 25-hour trip from Cape Town to Pretoria. The food, the service, the scenery, the compartment, wow! If you are looking for the ultimate luxury train trip, this is probably it, now that the Blue Train has been completely overhauled and refitted. The cabins are a marvel of compact luxury (Italian marble in the bathrooms...), the ride is smooth as silk, and the service quite impeccable. The menus focus on local South African cuisine, with a gourmet touch, including dishes such as seafood bobotie, perfumed Karoo lamb, smoked marlin, baby Kingklip (fish), and roasted Springbok. Superb South African wines, great coffee. Wonderful scenery too - the late afternoon trip through the Hex River Valley, as the sun was setting, was of picture-book quality.

Search this Thread